AutoDesSys

Offset line

AsOne

It would be great if this tool could be modified, or a tool like it could be added to the line editing tools to allow for multi-segment offsets instead of a single segment at a time. This is something I'd use all the time. 

Currently for multi-segment offsets, I extrude the outline, offset the surface and then derive the segments back out of it. That's a lot of steps for what seems like a tool that should already be there and is in most if not all BIM/CAD packages.

What am I doing wrong?  In a 2D view the offset segment tool will only move perpendicular to the view plane.  Which means it is coming towards me, not moving parallel to the line.

Looks like a bug to me too.

One workaround:

Derive an extrusion from your segment - set : perpendicular to surface.

Then the offset segment command works in the side view.

You'll then need to pick and derive segments from the resulting surface.

I found it easier to build a 3D extrusion at the distance I want then either derive face or steal just a segment from the object.  Pretty much like Mike detailed.

Thanks for the help investigating.  

The offset direction for a segment that is not connected to a face will always offset in the same direction regardless of the current view or reference plane orientation. Perhaps we could add a new feature which would allow you to further control the direction by View or Reference Plane?

We were able to reproduce the problem with multi-edge Offset Segment in Orthographic views under certain conditions. If you have a sample file please send it and include step-by-step details of what you are doing and what you expect.

Archived