AutoDesSys

Comparative Data Collection

Bo Atkinson

Is there any sort of facility to extract or collect project data in the new formZ?

Currently, the  "Msr Qnty tool" provides great data but it has to be copied and pasted individually for each object, one by one. Some research and design work would benefit, with lists of measurements in text form... Perhaps these could simply output in the order which entities are selected, before invoking such a command.

In the attached image: For example: I want to "weigh"  all the "red geometry" and compare this weight with the weight of all the "blue  geometry".

However, i would first project all geometry in the this view, first. The view angle displays cross sections, according to specific alignments, to study force filed effects.  So that 2d curves would become objects… Thus each "half" would have differing weights.  This is unusual, i know, but it investigates a propeller principle in toroidal related geometry. The work needs further  3d delineation which is why measurement automation is desirable.

Furthermore, as a builder, i know that a means to make lists of measurements would help improve physical project estimates. Wherein architecture could be concerned with material consumption efficiencies. My point is that automation of lists might have multiple use.

post-57-0-85231200-1432296538_thumb.gif

I couldn't find any titles with either of the words " Information Management"  (v8 Manual Online).  

Is there another sort of term used in Manual? I just haven't looked for this kind of thing before but sure would like to see what might be equivalent.

Thanks so much.

Hi Bo,

The Information Management palette is available from the Palettes Menu.  This description / tutorial should be helpful getting you started:

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/659-formz-information-management-output-to-cutlistplus-for-woodworkers/

This should be pretty straightforward, but if necessary, check pages 3-223 and beyond in the older manual:

Download

That does look very useful for project management and more power to those becoming skilled with it... Kudos to the formZ developers. Kudos to Alan and the others on his thread too.

It would appear that a user wanting a list of curve lengths would have to write some sort of script for the specific curve types of interest. That does sound reasonable and i am glad to be informed and yet glad still, to focus on manual methods instead. 

Where users have small diverse workflows in mind, it is likely easier just to plow through those and press onwards, manually. Design workflows are infinite. Infinity is not script applicable.

With thanks for the replies.

Archived