AutoDesSys

Mirrored components messed up

Simu

I built a simple model as a test, a timber frame using components.

There are about 10 components, all VERY simple. Saved the model and opened it up again and every component that was mirrored is now un mirrored. When I try to mirror again I am asked do I want to update or make a new component.

Seriously, are AutoDesSys kidding here? FormZ can't handle SIMPLE component mirroring?

Another issue with components is that when I try to update more than 3 as per above nonsense I get the beachball of doom. I can "update" the component and then "undo" the update and it appears in its correct orientation, as per the rafter and column in the screen shot. But every other component is wrong. 

I used components ALOT, as I usually block / rough design using components and then update / add detail later. A method that has works incredibly well with SketchUP for years.

5 crashes so far today. ArchiCAD NEVER crashes, SketchUp rarely crashes. FormZ has crashed countless times since I started using it.

post-10423-0-04241800-1430781268_thumb.png

from the screen shot you can see what has gone wrong in a very very very simple model.

Ok, so I fixed the model by rotating everything, anytime I tried to re-mirror the components FormZ would crash.

So is it a case that we shouldn't mirror components?

I'm happy enough once I know the best methods with them, I'll look at the component tutorial video again.

Very irritating.

post-10423-0-35020900-1430782252_thumb.png

Dear Gary,

We are sorry that you encountered a problem while using formZ.  Thank you for submitting your notes. We take these reports very seriously and we are committed to resolving this problem as fast as possible.

It looks like there are some problems / errors with the grouping structure in your components somehow.  Please send us the file you were working with so that we could reproduce the problem here? The file will be kept confidential and only used internally for the purpose of determining why you are encountering these unexpected problems.

You can send it in any state, as long as it is a file with which you are having issues.  Once we have your file, we will look further into the issue and report back ASAP.  

HI Tech,

Here is the file, its a simple wooden framed Green House (my summer project).

I fixed the issue by rotating the components, but I'm sure you can replicate the bonkersnessness by mirroring the components. As you can see they are all very simple solids, nothing elaborate.

Components are how I model, so understanding how FormZ treats them is priority number 1 for me.

p.s. Are you not allowed upload .fmz files directly? I got a "you are not allowed upload that type of file error".

000 Greenhouse 000.fmz.zip

Hi Simu,

We have been mirroring these objects 100's of times without any issues.  Which Mirror Tool and what options are you using, and if you open the file you uploaded, do you have any issues with this?

If this is working fine for you but another file is not, can you upload that file too?

(Yes, you need to zip a FMZ file before uploading.)

You missed the main point, the operation works fine and will stick until you save, close and re-open the project file, thus...

1. Ok, so using the file above I performed the mirror operation...

post-10423-0-76884900-1430861792_thumb.png

First rafter using Mirror (axis), second using Mirror (about face).

2. I close the file, then re-open the file to see the following:
post-10423-0-24586000-1430861921_thumb.png

The first rafter stays mirrored, the second rafter looses its mirror status.

3. This is the second (copy) rafter moved to show that the copy was made but the "mirror" status was lost. In other words the copy stays in its original position.
post-10423-0-31302700-1430862056_thumb.png

Do you see the problem now?

My preferred Mirror option is using a face, as it is multiples faster than creating an axis each time. I even make temp solids to perform the mirror in the desired direction, with the axis located as desired.

p.s. What is a warning point? Do we get prizes for having lots of them? Never saw this on a forum before.

Hi Simu,

Yes, after Mirror About Face with a Component may result in the component being unmirrored when the file is reopened.  If you use the "regular Mirror" (instead of Mirror About), then you should be able to avoid this issue for now.  Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.  

The warning points?  I suppose if someone was repeatedly rude and obnoxious we could give those out, but that is not something we have ever really considered or done before...

Please let us know if you have any further questions or issues, we would be glad to help.

Hi Simu,

Yes, we would recommend the 8.5 Beta to all 8.0 pro users.  It has many improvements, especially with regards to speed and performance, but since we just became aware of this Component issue, it does not have that correction (yet).  Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Archived