AutoDesSys

formZ 8.5 pro beta is now available

Tech

We are pleased to announce formZ 8.5 pro beta which includes some exciting new generative design tools, a separate and Improved formZ Layout application as well as a number of performance and stability enhancements.  

post-5-0-29370800-1430769955_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-50917800-1430769966_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-76091600-1430769977_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-63566300-1430770041_thumb.jpg

You can access the documentation, tutorials, and download the software here:

http://www.formz.com/products/formz/formz8_Beta_Pro_Update_App_Only.html

This first Beta is available to all formZ 8 Pro users.   Just Copy it into your existing formZ 8 folder (along side your formZ 8.0.2 Application folder), and use your formZ 8 Pro registration code to register it.

We will be releasing a Student Edition in the next week or two.

Please contact us at support@formz.com with any feedback or other issues.

Enjoy!

One clarification -- if you are using a Custom Workspace, the new Generative Tools will not show in the Specialties tool row unless you manually add them (via the Tool Manager).  However, if you switch back to the Modeling Workspace, you should find them there:

post-5-0-45412900-1430773615_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I get the following crash for the new beta at startup:

Program Exception: Access Violation

Description: Code=c0000005, Address 00007FFAF1A67F6C

Attempt to write data at address ffffffff

formZ Pro 8.5 beta
Windows 8.1, 64 bit; Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz; 16GB RAM
32" monitor @ 2560 x 1440 resolution; nVida GTX 970 4GB
3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator

Hi Rob, thanks for responding...

Yes I do have the latest driver installed. formZ comes all the way up but the first thing that happens next is the access violation.  Are you on the same OS?

formZ Pro 8.5 beta
Windows 8.1, 64 bit; Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz; 16GB RAM
32" monitor @ 2560 x 1440 resolution; nVida GTX 970 4GB
3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator

Guest seasdes

Today I downloaded and installed V8.5 Beta. I also have V8.0.2 installed.

Now my problems are:

* I cannot register V8.5 Beta because the Register menu item is greyed out (yes I know it is mention in my earlier post), Hence I cannot use all of the FormZ features; and

* FormZ crashes when I try to run Layout in V8.0.2. However, Layout in V8.5 Beta works without crashing FormZ.

Should I uninstall V8.5 Beta?

PS I have the latest NVIDEA drivers installed.

Hi Gentlemen,

In general we would prefer if you would contact support@formz.com with support questions regarding the beta as noted above.  

Mojo & RobertH,

We have confirmed that this is running properly for many users via our email, so we are not sure why this would cause a crash, but please try this:

[EDIT -- We have confirmed that on some systems there can be a Workspace Conflict between formZ 8.0 and v8.5.  We have adjusted the beta version so that it now maintains separate preferences and workspaces...]

Go to your formZ 8.5 Beta Application folder and move the Plugins folder to another location (put on your Desktop or other).  Make sure to move (and not copy) it.

Then relaunch formZ.  Does that then launch successfully?

Seasdes,

You need to have at least one project window open in order for Register to be available.  If you go to the File Menu and choose New Project, does that then allow you to register properly?

Regarding formZ 8 Layout crashing, if you go to the formZ 8 Preferences, and choose Reset to Defaults Now, then relaunch formZ 8, does that allow you to get a New Layout properly?

Hi RobertH,

Please give us a call at 614 488-8838 so we can set up an online meeting to try to determine the cause of this issue via an online meeting (or send an email with your contact info and availability to support@formz.com).

Seasdes,

Great, glad that solved the registration issue.  We also edited / added a note about the Layout issue you reported above.  Does that help too?

Guest seasdes

"* FormZ crashes when I try to run Layout in V8.0.2. However, Layout in V8.5 Beta works without crashing FormZ."

This problem remains

Hi RobertH,

Thanks for sending us an email.  Via the online meeting we were able to determine that there was a conflict with the formZ 8.0 and 8.5 Preferences, and resetting that solved the launch issue.

Mojo,

If you Quit formZ, and rename your autodessys folder (from C: Users [uSER]: App Data: Roaming), does that then allow you to launch formZ 8.5 successfully?

Hi Tech,

Thanks so much for your help!

I found out that if you copy a custom workspace created in ver 8.02, into a clean 8.5 beta workspace, it will crash 8.5. I've sent the file to support.

Thanks again.

Gentlemen,

We have just updated the Beta version to build 9521.  This version is the same as the previous one except that it now uses its own autodessys: formZ 8.5 preference folder so that it won't interfere with the previous version, and you won't have issues with the Layout Workspace appearing in the formZ project, etc...

Keep the emails coming if you have any further feedback!  ;)

Archived