AutoDesSys

Version 8.02. Refresh very slow on Mac Pro.

allanjl

Greetings all,

I have brought this up a few times. But I get the impression that Autodessys response to this issue is that FormZ 8 simply runs slow on the cylinder mac pro machines with my video card.  The issue is not only performance in shaded and full shaded, but also in things as simple as turning the lock icon on and off on the layers palette.

As I have said before this is disappointing to say the least.

Today I did some autocad 2015 work on my cylinder mac pro, and the performance was outstanding. It beat my fastest PC by leaps and bounds. I know, there are different technologies involved, and these are clearly different programs, but I wish FormZ's developers would release a fix for this eventually. I also know that Apple's driver for my video card has known issues.

I guess if nothing changes, I'll have to install bootcamp and forego the mac OS.

My mac's specs: Mac Pro (late 2013). 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5. 64 GB 1866 MHz DDr3 ECC. AMD FirePro D700 6 GB. Just in case anyone has any ideas. -_-

Our Mac and PC's are pretty much the same speed based on the CPU and GPU components (although some of the MAC ATI cards are a bit slower as documented).

Changing Layer visibility is somewhat related to the double click speed, so if you increase that, that should help.

If you are still having issues, you should send them a file so they can see what you are describing...

Rob,

To begin with, the problem I'm having is related to single clicks. (lock and unlock layers). I have also gone over this with Autodessys support, and it seems that's all related to my video card driver. Finally, this is not related to specific files, but all.

I was hoping someone else out there has the same issue with the same type of machine.

Anyway, for now, I think I'll just install bootcamp.

Thanks for your input.

Allan

RE: Simple things like palette refreshing, object list not updating after deleting some objects….  I toggle the arrow button on top of the Object Palette, (close then immediately reopen)… This refreshes the object list instantly and correctly…  

I had great hopes for my "fixer-upper",  a  2012 Macpro, tower, (with 1Gig ATI card),  3.33 GHz 6 core Intel...

It has many shifting issues (even after reinstalling OS)... But it is still better than past Macs and issues tend to clear up after reboots, usually just restarting formz which takes about 7 seconds. I can't complain, especially after your post. 

FormZ8 is still a dream for me.

Hi Allan,

Similar to Rob's experience, our Macs are only very slightly slower running OS X than running Bootcamp on the same computer, even when testing with files you have sent to us previously.  Perhaps there is something related to your user preferences?  Have you tried quitting formZ, going to the Finder: Go Menu, holding down the Option key, choosing Library: Preferences -- and then renaming the autodessys folder?

If you haven't tried that yet, does that help?

Archived