AutoDesSys

Square peg, round hole - How do I achieve this?

dmuller

Hello, hopefully one of the FormZ stars can assist me. I'm trying to go from an absolute square cube, to a round cylinder in one smooth transition.

The cube needs to be a fixed size, say 50mm on all sides, the cylinder needs to be 40mm diameter and 50mm long, they need to form one solid object so that a hole can be cut through the centre of each. It needs to be a smooth transition (rounded) so that my 3D printer can build the transition slowly to avoid stringing etc.

I have tried creating each object separately, applying a subdivision to the cube to form a smoothed circular extension, however it never forms a perfect circle and so cannot be seamlessly join to the cylinder.

Is this possible to achieve (it must be). Bear in mind I only have a licensed version of FormZ Jr. so certain features are not available to me.

post-5491-0-08036600-1426790201_thumb.jpg

post-5491-0-87971400-1426790354_thumb.jpg

Hi DMuller,

With formZ Pro, you can just Tangent Loft between the two:

post-5-0-61524400-1426790796_thumb.jpg

With formZ Jr (or formZ Pro), you can draw a circle and a rectangle, Align their first points (Show First Point from Display Options), and Tight Loft between them:

post-5-0-83110500-1426790795_thumb.jpg

Does that help?

Wow! Prompt response - thank you.

I didn't know about this function (but will research it some more and have a play as an aside), however, it doesn't acheive what I'm trying to do.

The cyclinder needs to sit inside another tube, the cube shape will hold an electronic pcb board (which is square) onto which is a CCD camera and lens. So the transition between cube and cyclinder needs to occur over a reasonably short distance. Say 5-10mm.

It needs to be a smooth concave transition as the 3D printer doesn't bridge very well, however, if the bridge between two right angle surfaces is rounded then the layers can be built up gradually with each outer layer being supported by the preceeeding layer as it prints.

It needs to pretty much look like the smoothed thumbnail I posted.

Archived