AutoDesSys

Too hard for a newby ?

Falcon12

That looks really interesting Falcon, I think FormZ would excel at modelling it.

Looks like you have plenty of information at hand, I would try to get plans if possible as you would need those to trace splines which can be used as sweep paths. The repetitiveness of the structure also helps, meaning you can model parts and mirror/rotate reuse bits.

Basically, if I were modelling it, I would start with the sweep paths traced from the plans, move them to their relative heights, trace in section the sources (the full width section of the walls without rooms and windows, this can be done in parts). Sweep the source sections following the splines. You can also at this stage sweep the rooms as a single sweep which can be split into individual rooms and boolean subtracted form the main sweeped walls. Create window blocks which can be again boolean subtracted. I would split the model into maybe three parts, a curved end and the straight section (less to work on and easier to handle).

There are lots of other ways to do it, but maybe you should post snapshots of your model in progress so we can all advise you on ways to do it as you model?

In my opinion, the best way to learn FormZ is to just start a model and learn the tools as you need them. But Tech are correct, start something a little more simple (maybe a similar shape as the fort) to play around with the get to know the tools.

Anyway, show us your progress and don't be shy, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Des

I`d make fort as solid from elliptic shape and place openings shapes on elliptic line to boolean subtract them later. Than I`d place pre-modeled windows on that shape to fit openings. E.t.c.

post-46-0-08463300-1426594232_thumb.png

post-46-0-11457500-1426594231_thumb.png

post-46-0-99707100-1426594229_thumb.png

Yes, it is a pretty easy shape to build, but learning the basics first is recommended...

Nice little example Anton.  I think you are suggesting making the windows and the cutting blocks together, and copying them around at the same time.  Then when you do the Difference, the Rest of the window shape would already be in place, correct?

I would say that this is a perfect job for Z, specially since it seems you have a lot of pictures, plans, cuts that you can use as underlays.

I don't see any special tools or techniques involved > the basics Z is good at, but the model is intricated.

The deal here is managing layers and objets > don't forget to give a name to everything, specially layers ;-)

Good luck

Yes, it is a pretty easy shape to build, but learning the basics first is recommended...

Nice little example Anton.  I think you are suggesting making the windows and the cutting blocks together, and copying them around at the same time.  Then when you do the Difference, the Rest of the window shape would already be in place, correct?

If I would make this task I`d do it the way you suggested.

Hi Anton,

Pretty quick and easy!  One quick tip -- if you Group the "hole objects" first, then you can just do one Difference to subtract them all at once... ;)

Oh! OK, thank`s Will know

Archived