AutoDesSys

Select by palatte

Andrew West

The Select By Palette doesn't seem to be working properly.  I have 96 materials in my project and I need to select a certain object by its material.  Since the Select by Material window is so tiny I usually move the material I want to select into either the first or last position in the Materials Palette window.  Then it should show up first or last in the Select by window.  It does not.  As a matter of fact sometimes some of my materials (like the last 8 in the Materials palette) don't show up at all in the Select By palette. 

Hi Andrew,

As Rob notes, we have also never seen a case where Materials are not showing in the in the Select By Criteria Palette, so if you have a case where this is happening, please send it to us so we can see why this might occur.

However, it is true that the Select By Criteria Palette has not been updated to show the Material Grouping that was added with formZ v8, so if you are using Material Groups, then the order of the materials in the Select By Criteria Palette may be different.  Could this be what you were seeing?  (We will get this updated for the future?)

It is a big file so I am sending a screen shot of the issue.  As you can see the material in the number one position in my material palette is not in the number one position in the Select By palette.  The first 33 materials in my material palette are missing in the select by palette.

post-227-0-50793400-1425586421_thumb.jpg

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for the picture, now we can see the issue (but we believed you and could imagine the issue before).  However, we will need a part of the file that shows the issue in order to be able to investigate it, and do something about it.  

To easily make a small file, pick a small object in the file, choose Save A Copy As from the File Menu, and choose Selected Entities Only from the Tool Options (and save the file).  Then open the file, go to the File Menu: Project Settings: Project Files, and uncheck Keep Textures.  If there are Components in the file, Purge them.  Then save the file once more, and send it to us so we can help. 

Support,

I would hope at some point the Material section of the Select By palette could be updated to have either all materials show their names under their previews or an area that lists the names of the chosen materials. Beyond the bug identified above, it is still a very poor interface when looking for one material out of 100. Given how small the previews are, you are left trying to identify where the material is based on comparing the layout to the layout of the Materials palette. Far from elegant.

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, that is on our list of suggestions for improvements in the future.

Thanks for sending the file Andrew, we will review this and report back if we have any questions or suggestions.

Hi Andrew,

We counted all the materials, and they are all there.  However, it seems that when you reorder the materials in the palette, this does not necessarily reorder them in the Select By field -- so we have logged that as the issue (instead of that they were missing).  Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

(Oh -- and we also just opened and resaved your file without making any changes and it became less than 1 Mb.  Perhaps you skipped that step in our instructions to make the file small?)

Re Gary's comments, I really liked having the name field at the bottom of the palette, it was a quick way rename and to be able see both the icon and text clearly at the same time.  I'm glad it is on the improvements list.

Archived