AutoDesSys

functionality of 'generate cylindrical panorama'

dmn

when I try to use 'generate cylindrical panorama' all I get for output is a black bar. Should this be functional or is it currently bugged? I've tried from both a saved model and a new project and get the same result. I have FormZ 8.0.2 Pro 64 Pro License on Windows 7...

Hi Gentlemen,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Yes, this functionality is / was based on Quicktime, and Apple is unfortunately discontinuing these features.  We are investigating other technologies that can be used for this for the future.

ah, thanks for the info. Since I'm on a pc I wonder if I can find an old version of quick time as I would like to use this feature. Or maybe my old Z6 install on my xp machine can still do it. The particular thing I am interested in cylindrical panorama for is developing an overshadowing map of a site.

DMN,

Yes, perhaps the best bet would be to backsave the file to v6, open on your XP computer, and try to export from there.  I don't have all the details, but if I recall, Quicktimes v6, 7, or maybe even v8 should work.

The Maxwell plugin for formZ can generate both cylindrical and spherical panoramas:

post-32-0-40370400-1425658602_thumb.png

Also, check out Evan Troxel's great video tutorial on creating spherical panoramas to view on the ipad, using features built into the Maxwell plugin for formZ.

• 10 months later...

I'm struggling with the same thing.  I just realized that the Spherical Panorama capability is there.  But in 8.5 it doesn't seem to work.  Perhaps there are some parameters I'm not getting right?

Also curious if for V9.0 it might be a good ideal to create Stereo options for cubic and spherical output.  This is the new frontier, images that can be explored through one of the new VR headsets.  This works great with Maxwell, but it would be very cool to have this ability with the regular Formz modes as well...Maxwell is very time consuming.

The Maxwell Lat/Long Stereo Camera (new to 3.2) works great for rendering out images for direct use in VR headsets like the Rift, or Gear VR.  This is really the dramatic new media I was referring to, much more interesting than a Panoramic program being displayed on a 2d screen (either Ipad or Monitor).  If you haven't  tried this you owe it to yourself, you can project a very real sense of scale not possible with any other media.

Maxwell 3.2 is pretty satisfying for this, but the images for this kind of use should be 6000x3000 pixels or more to have satisfying detail.  Rendering out panoramas in that resolution, especially with interior scenes is a brutal use of rendering resources.  Waiting until you get a reasonably noise-free image in Maxwell is very time consuming, even with a very fast computer.  If it were possible to have, say ambient occlusion from FormZ's viewports achieve this...it would be a great way to experience space, and quickly.

FormZ support, please get someone with a high end Samsung phone to go out and get a gear VR, then view these images in Oculus 360 Photos.  Must be seen to be understood....

Here's my latest project I'm designing presented in stereo VR suitable for Gear VR or Google Cardboard:

http://hmcfiles.site44.com/

I'm not sure how long this link will be active so check it out now while you can. It works on desktop computers but it's designed to be viewed on a phone with Cardboard. If you hover over (or click) the large arrow icons in the scene it will jump you to a new position within the space.

As pfschuler says it's much more interesting, but you need to have a headset for the stereo effect. Click on the little cardboard icon at the bottom of the screen to go into stereo mode. Also, this is my preferred method of architectural presentation now, meaning I think it's better than Oculus. But this is also very different than the Oculus. I'd use each for different reasons.

This was not rendered in Maxwell, rather it was Vray for that very reason - interior renderings are resource intensive for Maxwell. But I still love Maxwell... I just choose the right tool for each job.

• 2 months later...

That's great! Really allows you to feel like you're in the space. I've been looking around trying to figure out how to do a few different things using Google Cardboard. Did you use a particular program to create your webvr setup there, or was that hand-coded?

Thanks all! This was done in 3dsMax and V-Ray, since that's what my viz team uses here at the office. They are the geniuses behind this stuff (I'm just the architect). We've just recently updated the project with more nodes - you can now go into the lobby and up the stairs. Using a cardboard viewer in stereo really makes a huge difference over viewing a single POV in the browser. Do yourself a favor and drop $10 for a cardboard unit. Here's the new address:

http://stemvr.hmcarchitects.com

The VR is handled via XML running on our server that's running KRPano: http://www.krpano.com

By the way @envdesign, the V-Ray plugin is getting closer! But Maxwell can already create the necessary spherical stereo panoramas, I just haven't had a project to try it on yet with enough flex time to try it out.

Archived