AutoDesSys

Modelling a flowing flag

Des

I've been playing around with modelling a flowing flag. This is my first attempt, I created a rectangle, converted to nurbs, moved some points around, moved axis outside of the rectangle, then applied a circular wave deformation to get this result. I really want the texture to remain as parametric to so I can move points and change flag maps as well, I would like to do a few, all looking different.

Anyway with this model, when I want to reconstruct the nurbs surface, I loose the wave deformation and it goes back to the original nurbs shape. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong as I want to straighten up the side of the flag where it meets the pole.

Any suggestions for other ways to model it would be greatly appreciated as well  :)

Btw, I'll be using different commercial flag logos, so I just substituted the stars and stripes for this exercise  :D

Des

post-16-0-36900300-1424867082_thumb.jpg

American flag.fmz.zip

post-16-0-13856400-1424867130_thumb.jpg

Hi Evan,

It's in the Deform palette in Rendering/Animation workspace. FormZ always had (as far as I remember) this functionality), just in a different place since v7. I had to move the axis of the object away from itself so the circular wave is not obvious ie. those wave are far from the axis.

post-16-0-21376400-1424891097_thumb.jpg

Yes, I've done a subD version, but I have to do many flags all looking different and manipulating them individually would take a long time. I'd prefer to just change the parameters of the wave distortion for the differences.

Tech,

Did you get a chance to have a look at why the wave deformed nurbs keeps reverting when I try to nurbs reconstruct?

Thanks,

Des

Hi Des,

The NURBS Reconstruct and the Wave Deform are 2 different kinds of operations and the Deform can not be maintained after a Reconstruct.  Perhaps you can Extract the Controls, Deform those, and then generate a NURBS shape that you can Reconstruct as you like? 

Ok, I managed to get what I wanted by converting to plain object smooth, convert back to nurbs, reconstruct and move the points to line up at the pole.

The parametric map control was maintained so I'm a happy camper  ;)

post-16-0-50064600-1424897535_thumb.jpg

Archived