AutoDesSys

Spot emitters always point down

allanjl

Hello Ben,

Is there no way now to create a spot emitter to behave like a projector with the latest plugin?

I have tried this:

Create a vertical plane. Assign it an emitter material. Point its face normal towards a large vertical surface. Since I cannot find a spot emitter within the plugin I take this to studio. In studio I change the regular emitter to a spot emitter and select an image for its light source. The spot always points downwards.

Will there be a fix for this soon?

Allan.

Hi,

Due to fundamental differences between formZ and Maxwell, the plugin cannot fully translate IES and spot-type emitter MXMs that have been applied to objects. If you map a 1cm geodesic sphere, you should be able to position the light, but not rotate it-- it will always point strait up or down. Omnidirectional MXM emitters do work exactly as expected.

The solution is to use the dedicated 'cone' and 'IES' light types, which offer full parametric, postional, and rotational control over these light types-- all from within the formZ application. (We recognize that one cannot currently adjust multiple lights with a single multilight slider. This is something which is under investigation to be improved.)

Archived