AutoDesSys

Slow turning icons and off at layer palette on Mac vs. PC.

allanjl

I find that if I open a massive model in my Mac and turn either the lock or snap icon on and off, on the layer palette, there's a considerable delay vs. my PC. Is anyone else having a similar experience? I don't think this dependent on the graphics card since the geometry is not being refreshed.

Support, do you need my system spec's?

Hi Allan,

I tested a few files, and my PC is about 50% faster than my Mac because its CPU is about 50% faster.  (Right, it should be the CPU and not the GPU that affects this performance.)  If the relative speed of the CPUs does not explain the time difference, what are the exact times and CPU's?

This time I tested with a smaller file about 400MB. Turning the lock icon and off on the layer palette. My measurements are rough, counting "one thousand one, etc" as I clicked the icon.

PC almost instant, probably 0.2 seconds. Mac about 1.5 seconds.

PC: i7-4470 3.40 GHz. Mac: Xeon E5 3.5 GHz.

Hmmm...

Support,

As I said on my last post, the project I last tested was only about 400 MB. Also, why is there such a huge difference between platforms in regards to this? Please also keep in mind that I'm merely clicking once to lock or unlock layers.

Allan,

Do you mean that you are clicking the lock icon at the very top of the layers pallete to toggle the state of ALL the layers in the project, or are you clicking the lock icon next to a single layer to toggle the lock for just ONE layer?

How many layers are in your project?

How many objects?

What I meant was that I click on the icon next to a single layer to turn it on or off.

I've been working on the file on my PC, so the file size has increased; it's now 596MB. Still on the PC, turning the icon on or off seams almost instant.

I have also tested the file on a different mac. This machine is running FormZ 8.0.1. Turning the icon on and off on it is under one second, but not quite as fast as the PC.

The slow Mac is a Mac Pro, Late 2013. I will reinstall FormZ on it and will report later.

Attached is the project info.

post-34-0-48096000-1423766967_thumb.jpg

Right, and I am not reporting layer visibility, since I know it's dependent on the number of objects that are being refreshed.

I did check my mouse's double-click speed (although my issue is not double-clicking) and it's set to 3/4 of the fastest speed.

I suspect there may be something weird with the installation of 8.0.2 on this particular Mac. I will try to download the whole file directly and reinstalling.

Here are my findings. The problem seems to be isolated to my mac pro machine. The problem occurs even on an empty file by simply clicking on the empty "layer 1". My mac book pro works fine with the same version of formZ.

Well, I guess this is one more reason to get boot camp. A shame really. This is such expensive, seemingly powerful machine.  :huh:

Archived