AutoDesSys

formz was used in all projects of this behance portfolio...

3dworks

thanks for all the appreciations! :-)

as for the tools, formz was used for all modeling (apart some commercial assets like furniture pieces, certain decoration objects, etc.) and lightwave for the scene setup and most renderings. as for the render engines used, i would say 70% of renderings have been rendered with maxwell. the rest was mostly rendered with the excellent native lightwave engine or with the kray render plugin (i used this in some of the animation sequences). there are also few renders made with EIAS, which was my old animation package before i started using lightwave. nowadays also experimenting a lot with octane, the GPU renderer - the roof apartment interior with the stair which integrates library and fireplace is done with this...and of course, photoshop was used more or less heavily in all projects.

cheers

markus

Very impressive and inspiring work Markus. I've just recently added Lightwave to my arsenal and am curious about the workflow that you have adopted. Do you still do most of your texturing in formZ, or are you doing that part of the work in Layout? Are you still using Maxwell out of fromZ or do you work Maxwell out of Lightwave?

I've only just started to dabble with Lightwave and am still producing most of my work via formZ-Maxwell pipeline since it's what I know, and TV work allows little time for "experiments", but I am hoping to move towards a fromZ-Lightwave-Maxwell pipeline eventually. The versatility and adjustability of almost every parameter in Lightwave is pretty appealing, as is the fact that it exports FBX which is what most of our FX houses are using since they work almost exclusively in Maya.

Good to know that there are a few more people in the world who are using some of the same software. Using formZ, Lightwave, and Maxwell puts me in a pretty small club in my industry.

All the best, and keep up the great work.

Doug

www.rainbeau.net/DMC

hehe, it's a small but good club indeed, welcome!  :D

you have a very interesting portfolio on your site - how did you render until now?

as for your question: i'm using maxwell out of LW almost 100%, because in most scenes i need LW's capability for instancing and in general very good scene setup options, especially if controlling lights via VPR. btw. check out the fantastic advanced placement plugin which is about to be released for LW, which allows to help in almost any complex placement task by using a physics engine...

nowadays my workflow requires more and more for animations to be rendered withe the same scene - that's why i'm setting up most of my scenes for this double purpose. my 3d assets have maxwell and LW's native properties (and recently also a node setup for octane) which gives me more freedom to choose the engine i need for different purposes: super high quality still image rendering or much faster, but good quality GI images for animation.

texturing is mostly done in LW, but in FZ, before exporting, i set up UV's and separate surfaces with different materials. also, i tend to setup my FZ model just with simple surfaces for the client model previews, which means few, but essential textures. one tip is to setup cameras in FZ, start a render via maxwell and then transfer all cameras to LW layout via the maxwell 'read maxwell camera' function in layout. just read in the MXS written by FZ and there you have them. pretty handy. the other way round (LW -> FZ)  is possible via DAE/collada.

cheers

markus

Markus,

Ooooh... Going to have to check out that "read maxwell camera" function... Hadn't found that yet...

I originally used to work RenderZone, but switched to Maxwell about 18 months ago. Almost everything on my site is done in Maxwell via the formZ plug-in. Just getting started playing in LW so any serious work is still happening via the old workflow flow. Soon hope to shift over to a similar workflow to what you're using for many of the reasons you're talking about. I do like the feel of Layout in LW, and the Surfaces Editor feels like it ill be an awesome tool. I don't do a lot of animation since that happens much further down the chain than me, but I do like the look of the work I've seen out of LW's native render engine, and it will likely often be "good enough" in situations where Maxwell is just a little too time intensive. I've had several low light level renders that have taken way to long to lose the noise in the shadows in Maxwell. The results are always great, but sometimes 12 hours is just a tad too long to wait for a render.

"check out the fantastic advanced placement plugin which is about to be released for LW, which allows to help in almost any complex placement task by using a physics engine..."  You can bet I'll be doing that. Thanks for that and the "read maxwell camera" tip. Looking forward to spending some quality time with LW very soon, especially since getting have the 3D Connexions Navigator set up and feeling as intuitive as it does in formZ.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks,

Doug

http://www.rainbeau.net/DMC

Hi Markus,

Amazing work, as always!

I understand that you have a other reasons for rendering out of Lightwave, but I just wanted to let any newcomers reading this thread know that the Maxwell for formZ plugin does support instancing (MXS References) as well as Maxwell Scatter. You can render mind-bogglingly complex scenes with almost no memory/performance hit in formZ.

Doug,

Great to see your your work, terrific!

Re: interior render times... try setting up a few more fill lights in your interior (just like they would be used on set). This speeds up interiors dramatically. (Please disregard this suggestion if you are already doing this!)

Fill lights are indeed a great tool, and I do use them all the time. The nice thing in Maxwell is that they can be invisible, unlike those of my on-set brethren who have to work hard to mask them all the time.  :) Dim and "moody" interiors are always problematic in just about any renderer I've worked with. The time maxwell takes is invariably worth it, since the real falloff it produces is always better than approximations.

Great job on the plug-in BTW.

Doug

http://www.rainbeau.net/DMC

Archived