AutoDesSys

What causes 'smooth modeling error, access violation'?

allanjl

Support,

I receive this message on a file created from imported rhino geometry. It's all smooth geometry. Looks very clean, but object doctor still finds issues with it. The object doctor does report 'unable to find circuit tolerance' or something to that effect. It states this many times.

I asked because my colleagues working on rhino didn't have any issues with the same geometry, and yet FormZ has been very unstable - crashing regularly - with this imported file.

I will send an email with an attachment, but meanwhile I just wanted to vent and wonder why I'm the one suffering always with imported geometries.

Allan.

Hi Allan,

A Smooth Modeling error means that there is a problem with the geometry.  While that may prevent another operation from completing properly, that should not cause a crash, and we will investigate your file and report back.

Sorry Support,

I did find zero length segments and other bad geometry in the file. I suspect those are to blame for the error messages. Funny thing is, when I copy paste separate layers and then save those on a new empty file, there are no error messages when saving. But if I save the file with all the layers, I do get smooth modeling error warnings.

On a separate note: The file is massive. 1.23 GB. On a PC with 32 GB ram, and 4MB Nvidia Geforce card, you can still orbit with reasonable responsiveness. On a Mac Pro Late 2013, 64 GB of ram, and an AMD Firepro D700 6GB; orbiting is very unresponsive. (same geometry and shaded view settings) What gives?! Is the monster Mac machine not worth the money when it comes to graphic performance on FormZ?

Hi Allan,

As noted above, bad geometry may be expected to produce bad results, but it should not reproduce crashes.  You mentioned that importing some data was responsible for this problem, so if you can reproduce the problem with only this imported data, then you can send just that data so we can investigate and fix this issue.

Apple has had issues with their AMD Video drivers for quite awhile, and we (and many others) have reported this to them numerous times.  In addition to that, comparing the performance of that card to nVidia cards shows that the nVidia can be quite a bit faster, even without the video driver issue:

post-5-0-32711300-1423513657_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-50627300-1423514192_thumb.jpg

(There have been many threads about how the new Mac Pros are not worth it, and you would be better off using and / or upgrading an older Mac Pro instead (if you want to use OS X).)

Support,

Thank you for the information, but that's just it, I cannot reproduce the problem with parts of the imported data, but the whole file. I don't want send you the whole file until I figure out what's causing the problem. The file is 95% imported smooth geometry from rhino.

I wasn't aware of the issues with the AMD video drivers (I don't keep up with the latest news on drivers and or your forums). It's too bad. Have you any idea if the AMD video driver issue would remain if I install Windows 8 on bootcamp?

Thanks again.

Hi Allan,

Yes, Rob should be correct that you will get better performance with Windows running the same AMD card via Bootcamp vs running it under OS X using the Apple driver.  Please check the performance of the cards though, because as Rob also indicates, that card has less than half the performance of other reasonably priced cards.

Archived