AutoDesSys

Extra Sampling request

Des

Hi Pylon,

I realise the extra sampling feature hasn't been included just yet for the MaxwellZ plugin, so this is a future request.

I've been playing around with it in Studio and I'm very excited as it allows me to render parts of a model very quickly while being affect by the surrounding model. This is extremely useful when clients ask for multiple renders showing different materials. For example, on a house I'm working on, I've been asked to provide renders for different roof tiles. I would have had to in the past re-render all the views for the multiple materials, but now I can re-render them using Extra sampling for just the roof. It means I can render the views with just the alternative material and it's mask in about (on this project) 15 minutes instead of around 4 to 6 hours.

So, my query is;

While setting it up in Studio using the "Custom Alpha Channel Editor", I am given a list of objects to use for the custom alpha. That means I have to pre-name the objects in question in FormZ so I can easily find them while in the channel editor in Studio. As I'm from an architectural background, I tend to name layers as opposed to naming objects in a project, would it be possible to be able to select Layers instead of objects? Or even by material to create the custom mask?

Maybe this is a question for NextLimit, but I thought I'd ask you first  :)

Well done on the plugin btw, my workflow is improving all the time with it..

Regards,

Des

Just so others have a better idea of what I'm talking about, here's a snapshot of a re-render in progress (zoomed in) where just the roof is rendering and is really fast using extra sampling.

Main render is set to only SL-2 with the roof being set at SL-18.

And also a render of the different roof.

post-16-0-53305400-1422705383_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-63558400-1422705394_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-52210600-1422705413_thumb.jpg

Hi Des,

So, my query is;

While setting it up in Studio using the "Custom Alpha Channel Editor", I am given a list of objects to use for the custom alpha. That means I have to pre-name the objects in question in FormZ so I can easily find them while in the channel editor in Studio. As I'm from an architectural background, I tend to name layers as opposed to naming objects in a project, would it be possible to be able to select Layers instead of objects?

Yes, in Maxwell Display Options, Scene tab, enable Export By Layers.

Great that you are already finding this new feature to be useful. The plugin will be offering direct support for custom alphas & "extra sampling" in a future release. Stay tuned...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived