AutoDesSys

Derive Anomaly

Shibui Design

Hello:

I've found a problem that is easily reproduced. Create a rectangular volume. Control round (circular) an edge. Derive the resulting arc and two line segments connected with it. Now try to derive 3D wall from that. It doesn't work. Of course, there's an easy workaround but wanted to report this.post-125-0-48886100-1417707408_thumb.jpg

post-125-0-48886100-1417707408_thumb.jpg

derive anomaly.fmz.zip

Hi EnvDesign,

This is working fine for us.  Of course if you have the Perpendicular to Reference Plane option enabled and the XY plane, that won't work with this shape, but if you use the Perpendicular to Surface, that works as expected.

Are you seeing something else?

Yes, we tested with your file -- and just clicking on the J shape with the Derive 3d Wall tool makes the shape immediately.  Does this not work for you, or do you need to do something else to reproduce the issue?

And can you post a screen capture of the Tool Options that are not working for you?

Sorry posted wrong file. Here's another file with ghosted objects. Try these specific steps to reproduce this.

1. create rectangle on x,y plane with extrude option to create a rectangular volume

2. control round with circular option. select corner segment

3. prepick with segment sequence option two of the line segments

4. return select mode to auto pick

5. derive 3d wall, try both options: perpendicular to reference plane and surface (note: there is no surface, as this is an open wire)

I can achieve this using slightly different steps, but this particular sequence of steps does not work when I attempt.

V7.3.4

derive anomaly2.fmz.zip

You can control the "fate" of Ghosted operands for existing files from the File Menu: Project Settings:

post-5-0-63917500-1417713763_thumb.jpg

And you can control these settings for New Projects in the Edit Menu: Preferences:

post-5-0-26975900-1417713764_thumb.jpg

BUT -- If you open your file and you can not Derive a 3d wall from the existing shape, then the entire description and steps and ghosted objects do not matter, right?

If you can not derive a 3d wall from the shape you posted, please let us know WHAT Options you are trying to use, and what version of formZ you have.

Thanks for the tips on preserving ghosted objects!

Using FormZ Renderzone 7.3.4 OSX. Neither of the options work. I've tried both perpendicular to surface (there is no surface) and perpendicular to reference plane. That would be the YZ plane.

Interesting to note that I can achieve the same objects that I'm trying to extrude by different methods successfully, however these specific steps don't work. It seems this is isolated to me. It's not that important to spend anymore time trying to sort this out, but just thought it might be a bug.

see your step 5:

>>5. derive 3d wall, try both options: perpendicular to reference plane and surface (note: there is no surface, as this is an open wire)<<

you have to derive a face first- from the open wire,

then you reshape that face to a volume

have a try

vva

Archived