AutoDesSys

Your favorite formZ6/7 extensions?

lab

A lot work was done under the hood to modernize formZ 8. Unfortunately, the along with all the improvements, new technologies have made scripts dating from the formZ 6 era require some work before they will run in formZ 8.

While the best ideas from many of those extensions have been polished and incorporated directly into formZ— like Isolate/Reveal Objects— a few gems that we’d come to rely on are still missing.

The LAB is going to take this opportunity to curate the most useful extensions, rewrite and improve them, and package them into related plugin collections. Of course, we’ll be adding new stuff as well.

We’d be delighted to get your feedback— which of the formZ 6/7 extensions would you most like to see brought back? Please respond in this thread and let us know.

* increment and save file

* select similar

* reverse selection

* select by material

* random deselect

* select similar normal

* random transform

it would be so cool if you could also contact Takeharu Yabe to support him for converting his fantastic scripts for FZ8 (and to english)

his blog: http://zsurfer.blog8.fc2.com/blog-category-2.html

thank you

markus

All-

That's helpful, I think we have a better idea of what's been part of users' workflows. (But others, please weigh in, too.)

CBeddow and Gary-

The Isolate/Reveal functionality is now a native part of formZ. If you'd like changes to that functionality, make sure to let ADS know, maybe in a separate thread on the main forum.

Thanks for your feedback.

3 Pt Align

Gravity

Random Transform

Separate faces by color - good for objects with Maxwell emitter faces

FZ8 freezes on startup if either of these two scripts are in the Scripts folder:

Rename Object Command -- Revised

util_clear_face_color_and_texture - Hopefully this functionality will be included (along with Texture Groups) when the Texture Map Dialog returns to FZ.

Thanks Mr Lab!

Auto Remove Copy from Name,

and more especially:

Object Renamer

It puzzles me that the default settings of FormZ should add 'copy' to names and that multiple selections cannot be renamed all at once. I very much dislike the 'multiple' name which is given for name, material etc when selection contains more than one type, a list would be so much more informational. I would be nice if these options were part of the main program preferences, and not require a plugin at all.

These two plugins are keeping me from using V8 despite being a Family Plan subscriber. I did not expect this delay when I subscribed. Please hurry with these two plugins.

Lab,

As I said before in others posts in the past, I believe that one of the greatest virtues of formZ, among many many many others  :), is that it have a structure of work based on objects and layers. IMHO, this allows you to work efficiently and also in an orderly manner when required, and transfer information to other programs correctly and clearly.

In my daily work as architect, and cabinetry designer too, I don't work in visualization anymore, I use extensively the Objects Palette to control and organize my projects. This way I can export them correctly to Autocad to produce my CD's, and sometimes to Sketchup to transfer my designs to other colleagues or clients, so that they can check them visually. From now on I will use formZ free for this also.

In my working process, understand and communicate clearly is very important to me. Then, I always change the names of the objects with common names, and I organize them in groups and sub-groups if necessary. Also, I use prefixes and numerical suffixes to complement the alphabethical order to organize the best possible the palette. I use layers too, in a much more common way, but to me they’re less important and I don't need more than the options currently available.

That being said, If you ask me which is the most important extension, for me is clearly "Object Renamer". So, I agree with Allan and like him I'm not using version 8 as a result of this  :(, and I hope soon you can implement the new version of this extension.

Best,

Marcelo

post-13-0-39977900-1416872707_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-40751900-1416872731_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-37023100-1416872749_thumb.jpg

If object renamer plugin needs to be rewritten for FZ8 please could it be available as a palette which does not close after each use because when re-naming objects in bulk, which is partly what the plugin is good for, it would be nice not to need to keep getting it from the plugins menu for every single use. (I generally do modelling first and name the objects at one time at the end.)

Lab,

I have just tried RENAME OBJECTS in the Manager Collection. It is very good indeed, better than expected. The palette window takes up a lot of area [could it be resized in the future? but is only active for a short time and great that it can already be called with a customised keyboard shortcut, so better really as it is - that it doesn't remain open after use. Thank you very much!

Archived