First off I should say that while I have tried many times to use V8 for Drafting I repeatedly return to V6 to generate my construction documents. I am very biased towards the older version. I understand that I am a lot more familiar with it, so of course it would be a lot faster and easier for me to use. Over the years I have made many attempts to switch and have found too many impediments to be able to be able to produce drawings in the way in which I want them to look. While V8 has some great new features and more of an automated feeling, it all comes at an unacceptable expense in flexibility.
I think that the older version had a superior foundation. It would be great to begin with that foundation and then to include the beneficial features from V8. There are some serious issues and bugs in V6 Drafting which needed correcting. My suggestions will include pointing out both the problems and the benefits unique to V6 and V8. If anyone has ideas of how to combine the two versions where issues conflict, they would be very welcomed. Please feel free to add to the list as I too will be doing so in the coming days/weeks.
1. V6 had a Draft / Draft Layout workflow format which was a lot more flexible than the Page / Frame format in V8. While I appreciate the automatic updating of the Frames to reflect the state of the current model, I was losing a lot of time in going back and forth between the 3D and the 2D world and having to wait long periods of time for all the many frames in my drawings to update. I got into the practice of "freezing" the Hidden Line renders to break the file linking but this felt tedious and counterproductive in V8's workflow. In addition, I miss having an "offscreen" area [Draft] in which I could organize and hold variations etc. off to the side and which was hidden from view in the Frames [Draft Layout] on the final printed sheet, but which was still easily accessible and editable by switching to the Draft Mode. That being said, having a pages palette added on top of the old system would be a great addition.
2. I like the way that frames were not limited to rectangular shapes in V6, but could be polygonal, like the shape of an "L" or "T" for example. It enabled you to nest details around each other and gave you a lot more flexibility in organizing information on a page. Round and oval Frames would be helpful options for detail insert bubbles.
3. V6 had bugs in Repositioning dimensions which often caused them to fly off the screen when adjusted. V8 has no Reposition Tool which is dearly needed to quickly and efficiently edit either single dimensions or whole strings of dimensions which have been pre-selected.
4. I prefer the (Horizontal/Vertical and Dimension Parallel) Dimension Tools with a double click to signify the completion of a string of dimensions rather than using a separate tool to create Multi-Dimensions.
5. I miss being able to quickly select and move the associated/unassociated points of dimensions without having to show them first as in V8. These were invisible until selected in V6 which worked well.
6. Reintroduce the Colors Palette and the Color Tool in Drafting. Only being able to adjust Line / Hatch colors via Attributes is a limitation in comparison to V6.