AutoDesSys

Component handling seems wonky

hirscr

Hi, 

Im trying to turn my models into components to use in larger models. This process is either buggy or perhaps I am stupid.

I expect to:

select my model

Press "Create component button"

Select library

indicate origin

Save model as component in that library.

As you cans see from the images, I have been trying something along these lines but the components do not show up in the library I created. Even after a refresh. But when I try again, it tells me it is already there. When I rename it something else, the model shows up as the old name and the new name,

I also had issues where I could not save anything because it claimed the library was "read only" but I deleted the library and it isn't happening on the new library I created.

post-327-0-87753900-1415710897_thumb.png

post-327-0-44880000-1415710898_thumb.png

It seems worse than this now. 

I tried to save a new component to the recently created library and once again it told me it was read-only (and I'd post a picture if I could figure out how to do that in a follow up comment since the image button only asks for a URL)

I dumped the last library and created yet another one.  Once again tried to save a component and not its telling me that there is already a component with the same name in the newly created library.

Is anyone else having issues with the component library. This is pretty much a full stop for me. It seemed to work fine in Bonsai.

Oh my. I thought I made progress by using the "Import Components" button as it brought a component I wished into the library I wished. Then I tried it again and all the components disappeared from the MyComponents library and were replaced with the entire set of trees.

Hi Hirscr,

It appears that there can be an issue if you try to create a component AND define a new Library folder at the same time.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will get this corrected.  If you add the Library Folder first using the folder icon at the bottom left of the Component Management:

post-5-0-53128900-1415714319_thumb.jpg

Then Create the Component in that Library, does that work properly for you?

Also, to add an image or a file to a post, just click the More Reply Options button at the lower right of the Forum Posting window:

post-5-0-67149100-1415714411_thumb.jpg

Does this help?

Im getting "Name already exists"

How specifically are libraries handled? I see that sometimes it creates a .fzb file. Is a library simply a folder of .fmb files? If so, why are the .fzb files being stored in the same directories as the original .fmz files?

.FZB files are "formZ Backup" files -- which are your "previous save" of your file.  There should be no .FZB's in your Library folder.  Try this:

Create a Folder with Write Permissions anywhere you like.  

Use the Component Management to specify this folder as a Component Library folder as described above.

Create an object and click on it with the Create Component tool.  

Choose Save To Library, and choose this Library from the menu.

Does that work for you?

Hi Hirscr,

It appears that there can be an issue if you try to create a component AND define a new Library folder at the same time.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will get this corrected.  If you add the Library Folder first using the folder icon at the bottom left of the Component Management:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-11-11 at 8.58.01 AM.jpg

Then Create the Component in that Library, does that work properly for you?

Also, to add an image or a file to a post, just click the More Reply Options button at the lower right of the Forum Posting window:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-11-11 at 8.59.57 AM.jpg

Does this help?

For sure this is an "issue". If i remember correct this "issue" exists since v7 and is the reason which kept me staying away from using components more than occasionally and which also drives one into madness when opening old (pre v7/8) projects containing symbol libs.

.FZB files are "formZ Backup" files -- which are your "previous save" of your file.  There should be no .FZB's in your Library folder.  Try this:

Create a Folder with Write Permissions anywhere you like.  

Use the Component Management to specify this folder as a Component Library folder as described above.

Create an object and click on it with the Create Component tool.  

Choose Save To Library, and choose this Library from the menu.

Does that work for you?

No, thats pretty much the procedure I was following

Well, that's working perfectly here.  Did you check the Permissions on the folder in question?

Does the folder and the path to it only contain "legal characters" (i.e. not characters like / , : , etc)?

And if you are still having trouble, go to Applications: Utilities: Disk Utility, choose your Hard Drive, and Repair Disk Permissions.

Does that help?

Alternately, you could simply create the components in the Embedded Library -- and if you do want these in an external library at a later date, just right click in the Component Library and choose Export All to Library...

I create my component libraries in a shared drive. Everything works perfectly. I haven't had any problems like the ones you describe.

It sounds like you permissions are messed up, and or your folders are corrupted. You may want to try to save in a different location where you know for sure your permissions are working fine.

Allan

Ever since Symbols became Components, it's been harder to handle them. For example, it was possible to put a Symbol instance on any layer, change the layer it was on and the Symbol wasn't changed in the library. Now, when a Component is placed, changing the layer the instance is on causes the original Component to be changed in the library or a new Component to be generated. Why is this an improvement? Every change of an instance to another layer presents a dialog about whether to change the original or create another instance. With enough of these changes, a Component library can get quite large with Components that had something changed for one instance. Also, the changed instance no longer refers to the original.

Dear Jeff,

You should be able to change the layer of a Component without needing to update the component library.  If you have a case where this happens, please send it to us, and let us know how (of the many ways) you are changing the layer of the component.

Also, if you do get the Layer Changed notice, just choose Apply to All and Cancel -- and the instance will be moved but the component library itself will remain unchanged.

Archived