AutoDesSys

ERROR: FormZ Doesn't Save Generated Images

yangyangli

Hello,

I am using FormZ 8 SE and exploring the animation features. Creating animations is simple enough, I'm breezing through the tutorials and finding my way well enough. It's exporting animations that's got me stumped. Currently, the export options in FormZ are very limited. AVI is the only available option it seems. I've tried downloading other video encoding codecs but it seems formZ does not support them. The only available codec is very old and generates poor quality video with humongous file sizes. 

The workaround I'm currently pursuing is exporting the animation as individual images. Then, I'll use a video program to convert the stills into a video. Unfortunately, this isn't working either. formZ generates the images but does not save them! I'm always left with an empty folder and no generated images. A similar problem occurs with video rendering. If I don't close and restart formZ prior to each video rendering session, the generated video is not saved. I've been attempting to solve the problem for the last week but have made no progress. Every possible combination of settings that can be tried has been tried. I know that formZ is generating the images because I see the progress in the progress window. Also, my CPU is being worked and files are being stored in the formZ temp folder. Why are the pictures not saving?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! 

That's strange, always worked for me.  If you Generate as a FAN file with no compression, does that work for you?

Then use the Export Animation command from the file menu to export to images or AVI, does that also work for you?

Hi YangYangLi,

Welcome to the forum!

We have been testing this but have not been able to reproduce any issues.  Are you using the current v8.0.1 version?  If not, you can update to that here:

www.formz.com/update

Then as Rob suggests, generate the animation to a FAN File with Compression = none.  Once complete, use the File Menu: View File command to preview the animation file.

Then you can use the File Menu: Export Animation command to export the file to either AVI or individual image files.

Does that help?

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Exporting to formZ Animation file and then exporting from there works perfectly. While the extra steps are not ideal, the workaround is not too cumbersome. As long as I get the raw rendered data (i.e. still frames), I'm happy. Using Premiere Pro to join the images into a sequence is easy enough. Not to mention, I can use a better rendering codec + GPU acceleration.

Are there any plans to provide more animation export options? AVI is very 1990s  :D

Going off a tangent, will formZ and RenderZone be upgraded to GPU processing anytime soon? Some of us don't have big render farms at our disposal. 

Hi YangyangLi,

We are not having any problems generating an animation as you describe, so if you can send us a file that shows the problem, we will look into this asap...

Yes, we are investigating additional video formats for the future, thanks for your suggestion!  ;)

Archived