AutoDesSys

Export FormZ to Lumion

diesellam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have tried this and the only way I can get to work is to export from Form Z 8 .3DS and then import into Sketchup then export out again as .kmz.

Although .obj works but you lose geometry on some objects.

I actually transformed all geometry into Faces. but not for the obj file.

Troy:)

Hi Troy,

You should not lose any geometry when exporting to OBJ.  If you find a case where Lumion is not importing all the data, try importing the OBJ file back into formZ.  If the data is missing there, please send the .FMZ file, along with a screen capture of your Export Options so we can see why this might occur.  If the file imports properly back into formZ, then you should send the .OBJ file to Lumion's support staff so they can see why they would have trouble importing the data.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am trying to export a formz8 file to .obj as said before to be read in Lumion. But it crashes when trying to open in Lumion 5.

What specific options have to be selected to get it right for Lumion?

Thank you for your help.

JOHN

• 2 years later...

It works for me to export from formz to.dwg   - “Grouping method” is “by material.”  NOTE:  material assignments by layer do not work. Individual materials will be exported.  However, different materials on faces of a single solid object will be read by lumion as a single material.  To work around:  Derive faces from solid object with box checked for “each selected face separately"

Just ran through this today. Here's my recipe:

Export to FBX format

1. Use project units, and set project units accordingly in Lumion.
  2. Export as Single Group. This assumes you have assigned colors or materials to your objects in fZ because that's the only thing Lumion cares about.
  3. Choose the facetted option. I don't know if this matters or not, but I assumed Lumion wouldn't want Parametric objects.
  4. Export Visible layers only. This is a huge bonus that fZ has over SketchUp FYI.
  5. Click the Transformation button. Un-check Flip X, and un-check Inverse Faces.
  6. Make sure you keep Fix Smooth Shading at 40, otherwise if you turn it off, Lumion will try to over-smooth everything.

I didn't try to export textures because I try to do all my texturing in Lumion if possible. I would assume JPG is the best option if you need them.

This method worked perfectly for a huge terrain model with lots of additional detail covering a large site area.

Archived