AutoDesSys

Rebus Farm Manager

Andrew West

I am finally at the point where I would like to use a render farm to try to get a decent output from Maxwell.  I bought points from Rebus to try their service first since they looked to be the most flexible.  Unfortunately, I can not seem to figure out how to use their system.  From within Form.z I use /package for render farm/ and create a new folder with all the textures.  It creates a MXS file with a Red Maxwell Studio icon.  When I go to load that mxs into Rebus I get an error saying it is not a valid project file.

I have tried to allocate a file path to the red maxwell studio icon in the system folder but it gives me an error saying that the path could not be matched to a 3D application.  The only icon in the Maxwell folder that will link to Rebus is the black Maxwell render icon.  What am I missing here?

There is an area on the Next Limit forum for render farm questions.

You will need to submit an MXS file. That is what Maxwell for formZ's "Package for Renderfarm" creates.

If you are running the beta Maxwell for formZ plugin (3.1.0.x series) it is possible that the MXS file format created is too new for Rebus. Ask Rebus what versions of Maxwell they support.

Hi Andrew,

In Display Options (Maxwell Render Options), is Maxwell selected in the Launch Application dropdown menu? (as opposed to studio being selected)

I've used Rebus a good few times and seem very reliable and no long queuing times, although Ranch computing is faster especially when you get the hang of their setup. Once you do, can be cheeper as well.

Make sure you read their guide to save time.

Des

Hi Des,

I just wanted to note that 'Launch Application' does not need to be set to anything particular when invoking the Extensions> Maxwell Render> Package for Renderfarm command.

('Launch Application' controls which application will handle the MXS created after selecting Render> Maxwell Render.)

Hi Des,

I just wanted to note that 'Launch Application' does not need to be set to anything particular when invoking the Extensions> Maxwell Render> Package for Renderfarm command.

('Launch Application' controls which application will handle the MXS created after selecting Render> Maxwell Render.)

so just to be clear here:   Launch Application "does" or "does not" need to be set to anything particular?  I think my problem stems from the fact that I am using the new beta program.  It seems to create an mxs that Rebus can not read and their farm manager program does not recognize.  Is there a way to open the MXS in Studio and back save to a previous version? 

• 2 weeks later...

I solved the problem by going back to Maxwell version 3.0.1 rather than using the public beta version.  There is something wrong with the public beta when saving out to render farm is used.  So the process is to rename the Next Limit folder,  download the old version of Maxwell,  Install that,  remove the beta version of Maxwell plugin from my form.z plugin folder,  download and install the old plug in for form.z.  Re launch the program and then I can save out to render farm and it creates the correct MXS file with all the textures. 

There is something wrong with the public beta when saving out to render farm is used.

What is wrong? Or, what are you expecting, that is not happening?

It is not expected that renderfarms would be running the Maxwell beta, therefore MXS files created by the beta would not work on a renderfarm. When Maxwell 3.1 is released, renderfarms will update thier software as well...

Still having trouble.  I have uploaded the MXS file to Rebus and I let it render for 30 minutes.  I stopped the render and then hit the download button to see what I would get.  Nothing.  I got a bunch of strange files in a folder with no image files at all.  In the folder marked "output" I got a small txt. file.  I have repeatedly tried to contact Rebus but I am afraid the time difference is working against me.  Anyone out there use Rebus and if so what do you use for your Maxwell settings in Form.z ?  How do you get an image back?

What is wrong? Or, what are you expecting, that is not happening?

It is not expected that renderfarms would be running the Maxwell beta, therefore MXS files created by the beta would not work on a renderfarm. When Maxwell 3.1 is released, renderfarms will update thier software as well...

The beta version was creating a Studio.exe file instead of a MXS file that Rebus could read (if they had the beta).  The old version 3.0.1 creates the correct MXS file.

Studio.exe is the name of the Maxwell Studio application.

I just tested the formZ plugin beta version again, and it is correctly exporting MXS files. If you have a project that appears to be exporting something else, please send it along so we can investigate.

Archived