AutoDesSys

File Size and Saving

Andrew West

I have a model that I built in 6.7 that I am trying out in V.8.  Upon importing the file it increased in size almost 4 fold.  Now saving it after modifications takes up to 20 seconds whereas previously it saved in just a few seconds.  As a result I have not been saving as often as usual and loosing a lot of work when the program crashes.  Which is unfortunately more often than I would like.  Is there a reason why it increases the file size so greatly and if so how do I fix this?  I have turned off "keep ghosted geometry" in my preferences. 

Hi Andrew,

There are a number of factors that can affect the size of a file.  As Dennis notes, formZ v7 and 8 automatically embed the image files, but you can control this via the File Menu: Project Settings: Project Files.

The Display Resolution of Smooth objects had an issue with formZ v6 whereby not all of the detailed settings were being utilized.  If you have Smooth objects, this could cause many more facets to be (properly) generated based on the settings, and selecting all the Smooth objects (or even just all objects), choosing the Attributes Tab of the Pick Options, changing Basic Attributes to Display Resolution, and setting this on the default Simple: 50% (or even better 0%) can  make the file considerably smaller.

Finally, Components are also embedded in the file, and if you have components that are not in use that are not needed, going to the Component Manager: Embedded Library and clicking the (red broom) Purge button will remove these.

If you have a file where this does not make the size similar to that of previous versions of formZ, please send it to us so we can take a look.

Archived