AutoDesSys

Sometimes fz8 takes over the computer

jeffgrune

I just upgraded to V8 and like it a lot. The 64 bit architecture means I can render larger scenes without running out of memory. I'm using a MacPro 12 Core with 26 GB RAM. However, it sometimes hangs for minutes at a time and completely takes over the computer. Once was after a copy of a fairly simple collection of primitive shapes.The cursor moves, but nothing else works, something I haven't seen since OS9. There is no beachball or any sign that FormZ is working on something but sometimes some hard drive activity is heard. Any key command is stored somewhere until FormZ finally lets go, then everything I tried to do when it was unresponsive is done - app switching, menus, force quit, anything. This seems to be happening most when a large file is open but not the active window.

Hi Jeff,

We haven't heard of that specifically, but if you are using Yosemite and you haven't applied this patch yet, please see this link:

formZ 8.0.1 Yosemite Hot Fix    

RenderZone will generally work best on this computer if you go to the Edit Menu: Preferences: -- and set the number of processors to 6 or 8.

If you have any further issues, try running the Activity Monitor in the background -- and when the problem occurs, check to see if there are any indications in the Activity Monitor as to what may have caused the  slow down (in the Processes, CPU History, disk usage, etc).  And of course if you find a series of steps that can reproduce an issue, please send the file and / or the steps so we can test with this here.

Did the first two suggestions help solve the issue?

Hi Jeff,

I have the same setup Pro12core + Mavericks.  I get the same hang a couple times a day and it's a long one, about 10-30 seconds.  It happens while I'm using FZ, but because the cached OS commands, changing windows etc, are played in rapid succession on release, it is clearly Mavericks that is the culprit here.  I use an SSD drive for my OS and main project files.  I think the delay may have something to do with Time Machine and spin up time on the non-SSD platter drives that are asleep.  I just now changed my Energy Saver Prefs disabling sleeping the hard drives, and after the holiday hiatus when I'm back to work, I'll let you know if the hangs are gone...

post-176-0-24642900-1419370904_thumb.png

I use Time Machine, but it was not active when I had these problems. I suspect the freeze had to do with the particular file that was open at the time. It was a converted SketchUp file of a big-box store with lots of groups and joined objects. Whether or not this is a factor, the freeze has not occurred again.

Wouldn't time machine have to backup during the rendering process to use the processor?

By default it backs up every hour... so if rendering takes 12 minutes and time machine did not activate would it have an effect or am I missing something.

I can give it a try with time machine off and let you know results.

Hi Dennis,

We have not reproduced this issue here so we can not say for sure why this would happen, but Robert (Setz) has encountered it and suggests it may be the drive sleeping, or the Time Machine.  Please try adjusting both settings, and if that solves it, you can then revert the settings (one at a time) to see which is causing this for you...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived