AutoDesSys

Some thoughts that I will be happy to share with you…

dubir

Hi All

Some thoughts that I will be happy to share with you…

I love MAXWEL render! But…

I am self employ in the field of Exhibition. Every project I provide to client 8-10 renders with the views of the exhibition booth. For producing the render I use small render farm at home. Here is the render farm that use old computers:

·         Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.2GHz               Windows 7 64 Bit Operation system

·         Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz                                       Windows 7 64 Bit Operation system

·         Intel 2Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz                                        Windows 7 64 Bit Operation system

·         Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz                                     Windows 7 64 Bit Operation system

Every render is 20X15cm 150dpi. I use Maxwell 3 with network render. The time it takes is 1 Hour and few minutes. So it is night to render (8-10Hours!).

My first and important question to you all, IS IT NORMAL? IS IT MAKING SENSE?

Now just imagine that the client want me to do changes…so it is a matter of 8-10Houres again!!!

Before MAXWEL I render with FormZ and it took 1Hour-1.5Hour, good quality renders.

I try to do my best and keep render with MAXWELL but the reality in the day to day work can't let me continue, it is almost impossible.(just to mention I love MAXWELL very much!) what can I do???

It is important to mansion that my competitor use Vray that work fast and has no grainy.

Thank you all!!

Dubi

Hi Dubi,

To evaluate those machines, try running Maxwell's Benchwell benchmark scene. (Quit other applications, Launch Maxwell, then select Tools> Run Benchwell.) Compare your results with those found here. You will probably find that several of these computers are too old (slow) to contribute much, and may actually be slowing the overall process down.

Alternately, you can run Geekbench and look at the 64-bit multicore result score, and compare your scores to other machines in the Geekbench database.

Please update your post with either of these result scores.

In addition to that, can you send a typical project (formZ project and dependencies)? I will have a look and see if there is anything you can do to speed up your renderings. What SL are you trying to achieve, in general?

Hi Pylon,

I certainly will send you a typical project today thank you. Regarding the SL i can afford for 18 not more.

Please let me check with you, i think even the slowest PC will contribute something to the process that why i use them -IS IT TRUE?

Thanks !

Dubi

Hi Dubi,

No, the fast computer(s) may finish their work and be waiting for slow computers to complete their part, which can cause the renderings to take longer than without them.  

Run the benchmark tests as Pylon suggests, and don't bother using any computer that has less than half the performance of the others...

Just to clarify, if Dubi is network rendering with Maxwell, and setting up his network to run images cooperatively, then the slower machines will not really slow down the process, they will just contribute a smaller percentage of work to the final image.

• 3 weeks later...

I find that interior renderings typically take a lot longer to render than objects. I'm not sure if your exhibit scenes are set up as interiors, or if they are booths in an exhibit hall. If you can render your scenes as a stand alone object as though it is in a studio, they will render much faster. Interiors take a lot longer because you need to set up more emitters to light up a room and it takes a lot more time to calculate all of the bouncing around that happens.

That's been my experience at least.

One trick I use for trade show exhibit booths is to light the booth with a single IBL light and turn off the background. I turn the Alpha channel on (make sure you check, "embedded") and then add a background in Photoshop. A scene will render in hour rather than 8 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to chime in and thank you all for your input here.  I also regularly render exhibitions and have had a hard time getting Maxwell to be worth the time needed.  I wish it had a simple mode, where you could just load default scenes to customize to your needs.  Have you all ever seen Keyshot Render?  How easy it is to make the renderings look amazing, very quickly?  Sure, it may not be as deep as Maxwell, but if I'm a 3d designer, why do I have to learn all this camera lingo just to render as you do with Maxwell?  

Just my thoughts.  I've played around with building a default scene and a single light like David suggested, but still had problems with the background.  I'd prefer not to have to take every image into Photoshop, as I feel like thats only something you do if you can't get it right in the rendering program, and just adds unnecessary time for every request for changes.  Maybe I just need a Maxwell expert to setup a scene I can use over and over?

The reason I'm even bothering with Maxwell is because of how it can handle emitter objects.  In this world of cheap LED lighting (LED tape is really really popular now), the RenderZone alternative Line lights, does not work as expected and getting it to glow rarely works at all, especially when there are no objects behind or around the light.  I think that's just part of the aging Lightworks based RenderZone engine, and now that we are seeing all these alternatives, we just expect more... better... faster!  :)   I'm still hoping we'll see Lightworks new IRay+ engine as the default in FormZ, but as I understand, it's a completely different engine, so it would basically require them to rewrite it's integration.  That said, Pylon has done an excellent job with the Maxwell Plugin, and if Maxwell itself were just easier to use, I think it'd have more fans outside of those needing incredibly realistic architectural renderings.  I do remember seeing a Maxwell demo running on accelerated CUDA, so that could be promising as well!

Justin,

For exhibition-type work, you should be able to get very good results out of Maxwell without too much effort. If you post a simple project file, we would be happy to have a look and make suggestions for how you can improve it. It would be a good learning exercise for everyone.

Archived