AutoDesSys

Form Z not responding

Alan Cooper

FormZ 8.01 hangs far too regularly upon exit of edit group. I'm only in shaded work display. I could perhaps understand if the work was intensive, but usually all very simple straight rectangular 3d work with no booleans [unless push-pull reshaping and extending is considered to be boolean] and certainly not graphic intensive. I am no expert but it feels to me like a small amount of computer RAM is dedicated to a group and despite plenty of RAM being available, it is not accessible while working inside the group....could this be correct, and more importantly, rectified please? The same thing used to happen with groups in another CAD program I used to use, but did not happen with blocks. Coincidence or related? Windows 7 64bit.

Hi Alan,

We edit groups all the time without issues.  Perhaps there is something specific to your files?  If you repeat your actions on groups in your file, are you able to reproduce the problem?  If so, can you let us know which groups you are editing, and how -- and either way send a file in which you are having trouble so we can investigate this?

Thanks Tech, it seems that my system has issues. You have kindly looked at my files in the past and I don't want to waste your time as I can't think of anything special about the file that could cause a problem. I'll send it anyway though, together with recent dump file and crash details. I am taking measures to clear my system as much as possible, simplifying security devices and putting my working file onto the SSD which the Windows 7 operating system is on, instead of second hard disk, hoping it will perform better afterwards.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your email, we will investigate this and report back (via email).  The one thing that does stand out is that you mention that Windows Explorer regularly closes and restarts.  That is definitely not normal, and may very well be caused by the same source that is giving you trouble with formZ.  If a Windows Repair does not solve this, I would highly recommend doing a format of that boot volume and reinstalling Windows.  If your OS is running properly, then you programs will have a lot better chance of running properly too.   Anyway, we will investigate the file you sent and the rest of the email and get back to you regarding this.

Tech, this is very kind of you, but already my computer is a whole lot sweeter. I have a good feeling about this now, having removed Malwarebytes which was kicking up so many windows errors, and especially now the FZ file I am working on has been moved onto my Solid State Disk drive. It is running really quietly now, no fan or hard disk to spin. I feel somewhat foolish for not thinking of this before. Maybe moral of the story is if you have an SSD, only use conventional disks for storage so the operating system and program run together on the fast SSD.

Hi Alan,

Ok, good to hear.  Hopefully this solves both the Windows Explorer and the formZ issues.  (If Windows Explorer continues to have any trouble, you should still consider a Windows Reinstall.)

With regards to security software, you never want to run 2 copies of antivirus software at once (not that you are -- just a general rule), as these will conflict with each other.  Basic Malware software is ok to have more than one copy, but you should only have one that is set to actively scan your system (and you can manually run scans with the others as necessary).

Thanks Tech, what you say about one malware software confirms what my tech guy said. Already, I am noticing Form Z running quickly and smoothly having made these 2 changes to my system, thanks for persevering with me through my groaning, I am hugely relieved these problems I've been experiencing have not been Form Z related or not really even Windows related come to that.

Archived