AutoDesSys

SubD mirror / symmetrical modeling

virgox2

FZ does not have a symmetry tool as do other sud-d modelers.

A glaring oversight.

I have asked for this since sub-d was introduced.

That... is VERY unfortunate.  I have a copy of Silo, but unfortunately it's a one-trick pony.  At least FZ is far more comprehensive. 

Nevertheless, that one silly feature.. c'mon FZ.  come on. make me happy.  :)

Indeed, symmetry tools are powerful, but not really the most competitive, in that demand is relatively  limited. There is a work around, taking a little more time to complete, but less and less time, if one is repeating this enough to get used to the work flow.

Use the mirror tools, either with starting objects or with Subt objects or other types... 

Indeed, symmetry tools are powerful, but not really the most competitive, in that demand is relatively  limited. There is a work around, taking a little more time to complete, but less and less time, if one is repeating this enough to get used to the work flow.

Use the mirror tools, either with starting objects or with Subt objects or other types... 

Thank you for the suggestions. 

I'm still getting used to FZ – the workflows, shortcuts etc.  However it is definitely growing on me.

I wish FZ had symmetry. Could have used it on my last model. Even though there are work arounds it is much easier with that as an option. Something I used quite a bit in Amapi Pro and Hexagon. 

Maybe add it in next release?

You can try clones for some applications of symmetry.  Make a mirrored copy of half of your object with "Clone" selected in tool options.  At the end of the editing process either stitch or boole the two object halves together.  I haven't tried this on SubD objects (probably doesn't apply), but it should work on the cage object prior to converting to SubD.

SubD models are fairly basic; points, segments, faces. FZ has considerably more complex types of objects and symmetry on those is likely much more complicated to code for.  Don't be too hard on ADS, for example they included a Sub D to Nurbs converter which most SubD modelers do not include except as a ±$700 plug-in.

It's great that FZ has SubD included and having a mirror function would be helpful.  That being said, when I need to do heavy lifting with SubDs I use a dedicated SubD modeler which, as expected, has a myriad of modeling, selection, and falloff tools expressly used for that type of modeling.

• 2 weeks later...

one concern regarding this, is that other modelers constantly refer back to their poly model and then smooth it.  Thus all tools that work on the poly model work on the sub-D model, and visa versa.

formZ, has dedicated tools for its sub-D and the other tools do not act on a sub-D model/mode.  Not sure if that means that fZ does not constantly refer back to the poly or not.  but it does seem as though it doesn't.

If it doesn't, I will speculate that this is because it is a true smooth model and not just a higher resolution poly model (MODO).

It would be nice to allow fZ to incorporate it's tools together, instead of a dedicated tool set.   Even if there was a dedicated pallet with the proper selection of tools.

in my mind this would simplify the interface by having a smaller set of tools.

Archived