AutoDesSys

FormZ buggy on Win10

allanjl

Support,

I had brought up this topic on another forum, because temporarily I had switched to using a mac. On a mac, formZ was wonderful. Hardly ever locking up, and stable as can be, even when placing components, rendering with Vray, editing materials, etc. 

Since then, I have taken some side work, and bought a new PC (more affordable than a Mac). I thought, maybe my bad past experiences on Windows were due to using older machines, inexpensive video cards, and maybe having older versions of formZ installed on the machine. Well, it turns out, even on this brand new machine, with freshly installed FormZ, no preference file, and freshly installed Vray, formZ locks up at least 5 times a day, and upon restart it locks up again. I have to resort to dumping the autodessys folder to get it to unlock. Very disappointing!

What's going on?! I asked this question to other members and it seems at least some are not having any trouble. I guess I'll have to buy a Mac?!

Here are my machine spec's: Dell Inspiron 5680, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GTX 1070.

(Also slow at opening light parameters dialog box)

Thanks for looking into this.

Allan.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since you posted this, but I find the newest release 8.6.2 Build 10099 to be very stable under Windows 10. 

With previous versions I had a lot of the same issues you are reporting.  Here's some things I've done that may help.  FYI, I haven't had to replace my preferences file in a couple of months after implementing these.

Under Preferences, DO NOT 'Use Custom Preference File'.  I always used to do this, so I could keep it handy in case things go haywire.  I noticed that when I stopped using the custom file, and just leaving the default, I haven't had anymore need to rebuild my preferences, or workspaces.  Any changes you make, will still be saved after you exit FormZ.

Workspaces are a touchy feature.   Get yours setup as you want, then exit once while having the Save Between Sessions turned ON.  Then when you restart again, Turn OFF the Save Between sessions.  This should keep your custom Workspace happily setup as you wanted it, but if there is a crash, it won't get corrupted by being unable to Save at exit.  Hopefully we can get rid of this half baked feature in v9.

That's it.  Hope this helps!

FZ is worse on Win 7 pro, I constantly have issues with it crashing and am forced to work on my dinky laptop. I believe it is mostly because AMD has horrible drivers since other programs that are gpu intensive also are unstable. 

Oddly my laptop has built in Intel video and only problem I run into is it tends to run out of memory on sine I only have 8gb on it.

I wouldn't recommend a upgrade install but rather a clean install no matter what version of Windows your going to. Drivers are always a big issue with a new OS no matter what machine you have ie PC or Mac etc.

Thank you all for your responses. I think you're right. Custom preferences contribute in making formZ unstable. Weird thing is that sometimes with no preferences, and a first time install, formZ will still lock up right after the program loads.

Also, if I do not use custom preferences the file compression size is set to minimum, and tech. support has told me it may contribute to losing components after a crash.

It's a catch 22. Autoddessys has work to do!

Archived