AutoDesSys

2D CAD functionality

aamt

There are some great stuff in formZ that I love but I would like to see a much improved tools for 2D drafting. We are not even talking of major stuff here, just more curve and line editing and the ability to blend curves. The current tools for editing curves like trim and filet could be a lot more robust and have more options...I am struggling to create basic 2D geometry I could have easily created intuitively in other packages like Rhino, Autocad, Microstation etc ...It is really a shame and it lets what should be a really good program down.. i dont want to be rude, but it feels sloppy considering you expect architects and other professional designers to use this  software for business 

My first response wants to be... Who draws in 2D anymore?

But I must remember, the flexibility inherent in the power of FormZ means you can still do that, even if it isn't the primary approach anymore.  Personally, everything I do is in 3D, and if I need to create 2D drawings from that, it is pretty easy using Hidden Line and/or the FormZ Layout program.  I'm curious, if you try to create your basic 2D geometry, using the 3D tools is it easier for you?  

I usually end up using Corel Draw then importing the ai rather than struggle with the clunky line tools in FZ. Don't get me wrong, for the most part, FZ drawing tools are adequate for basic line work but when modeling something like a coin or emblem that has text and logos it can be just too tedious. 

I'm used to draw very often in 2d.

Either at the beginning of a project to get the proportions under control or at the end of a project to get explanatory illustrations.

Unfortunately, the software tools that they have fulfilled a few years ago are disappearing with time, because they can no longer keep up with the developments of the new computer systems, or are no longer being developed further.
I used to like «Graphite» from Ashlar so far.
But the current version is very inadequate under High Sierra.
Unfortunately, the current 2d environment of FormZ is no longer as useful for me as it was under FormZ 6.
It would be great to get a simple 2d environment with version 9, which features intelligent drawing tools similar to the «Drafting Assistant» in Graphite.

Why not check out Affinity Designer from Serif? It has some excellent 2d vector tools that you can export out for FZ. No sub, think it runs around $50 or so. 

I use Corel Draw here mainly because I do a ton of color separation work for screen printing industry. They do have a higher end version for cad work that also allows import of 3d models for annotations, product sheet development etc. Not sure what your budget is.

Archived