AutoDesSys

Bug with STEP files

cphfmz

I believe Autodesys relies on a third party translator for STEP, SAT and a few other formats. The PC version of the STEP import/Export module is fairly robust and vastly superior to the Mac version. I had to install VM Fusion and install a PC version of FormZ just so I could export as STEP reliably. I also notice other problems on the Mac version that I don't with the PC, namely with Subdivision modeling; on the Mac I am unable to get a contextual menu for sub-d tools but I can in Windows.

I appreciate that Autodesys supports the Mac, I wish more 3D CAD tools did as well. However this STEP issue is almost a deal breaker since not many people I work with use FormZ I need STEP to send them files and render well in Keyshot (which is another story—and no, OBJ doesn't work well either).

We need better translators on the Mac version of FormZ.

I appreciate that Autodesys supports the Mac, I wish more 3D CAD tools did as well. However this STEP issue is almost a deal breaker since not many people I work with use FormZ I need STEP to send them files and render well in Keyshot (which is another story—and no, OBJ doesn't work well either).

I'd love to see Keyshot support .fmz file imports.  Ideally a live link would be superior, but I'd be thrilled if it would just support the native file type with textures.

• 2 years later...

I believe most STEP files I receive are from ProE/Creo in Asia.

I have tried turning on and off every switch available—often to no avail. Or, I will open incomplete geometry. I have Windows running in VMWare where I installed a windows copy of FormZ. Windows version will nearly always open STEP files the Mac version fails on.

I just upgraded to FormZ 9. The import modules do seem more robust on imports so far.