AutoDesSys

Alpha Channel Scene

The Q

Vray Settings- Settings- Environment- Background-Color- use project color.  Make sure you check the Render Elements box to get all the channels you want.  It will add anything from Alpha to Reflections and Depth.  I separate out my channels for later composite.

A thing of note here:  The program gets its ambient light from the sky settings and if you have none since you are doing an alpha background you will have no ambient.  If you want to add ambient check the Environment Overides setting and click on GI (skylight).  Make it a sky and make the multiplier 3.  It will not show up in your render but the light will. 

To get the VFB channels you need to enable the Render Elements in the VRay Settings palette.  

Then once you render, you can export or even copy and paste each channel from the VFB to use in Photoshop.  You can also save ALL the available channels in a single layered EXR file for compositing in Photoshop.

I just did a quick text to confirm:

post-219-0-24933700-1518629728_thumb.jpg

More info on how to use the VFB  -

Glad I found this post, I've been trying to figure it out for a while now.

Now does anyone know how to have a transparent floor for shadows / reflections in vray? For instance in FormZ I used to create a new renderzone material for a floor and under the "color" tab I'd select "background", then under "reflection" tab I'd select "catcher". In the "catcher options" you could then adjust the shadow intensity & if you want the floor to have any reflectivity. Then once rendered you could export image as a PNG and open it in Photoshop as an alpha channel but shill have shadows/ reflections on a transparent floor. The reason I'd like an alpha (transparent) background & floor is because we have custom backgrounds & pages with our company logo, page numbers, notes, etc. that have been created in Photoshop. So it's nice to just drop my .png rendered images into these pages and be able to scale / move them around & add my notes.

This can be done with V-Ray for formZ. The way to do this is to enable the Matte object attribute, change the affect Alpha setting to -1, enable shadows, and enable the Affect Alpha option. We have discovered that there is a problem in the interface that causes the "’shadows” option to not always applied when it is selected. We have fixed this. We will be releasing an updated plugin in the next few days that includes a fix fo this issue.

post-5-0-78895200-1519831065_thumb.png

post-5-0-31926900-1519831084_thumb.png

post-5-0-35228400-1519831108_thumb.png

post-5-0-41940600-1519831129_thumb.png

Thank you very much, I'll try this out soon! Nice touch with the Ohio State column being placed next to Michigan Stadium haha. Do you happen to know if the update will include a fix for the t-form tools not working sometimes? I believe this is a known issue, but for instance... I keep finding my move tool or rotate tool etc. sometimes don't want to work. So I have to de-select the object and select a different tool, then come back to it and then the move tool will work.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Vray plug-in & have pretty much switched to using vray now for all my final renders. It's still a learning process to get my renders to the next level which is more realistic. But overall it seems very promising as long as the little bugs continue to get worked out, which can be expected with any new program releases.

-Tim

Archived