AutoDesSys

Example Images

Andrew West

The sign in link above is still broken so everyone please remember that to sign in you need to right click on the link and select Open In New Window.  That said here are a few new images for review.  Still a work in progress but every week it is getting better.  Still having trouble with portal lights and dome lights in association with other lights in the scenes. 

post-227-0-10876700-1534955273_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-45164000-1534955405_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another example of exterior and interior lighting.  The final render at 4500 pxl wide took about 14min.  I am very impressed with the speed and quality of Vray these days but there are still a few bugs to work out. 

I also wish they would fix this forum so that my images can be viewed at full res. 

post-227-0-36527800-1536082970_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice images Jaakko

Are you working with the reflection channel much?  Your images seem to need a bit of gloss to the hard surfaces.  Or is that the look you are after?

Here is one that is all about the reflection.  Really wish I could figure out how to get Caustics to work.  So far I am at a loss no matter what I try.

Spa 4.jpg

Thanks Andrew!

Your works are great. The house sits very convincing in the scenery and the water is very nicely executed. It would be nice to see the picture from the site before any work.

I don't do much retouch, maybe slightly more light and contrast. I agree that the floor e.g. could benefit a bit more reflections. 

Jaakko

I turn on the channels for Reflection and Raw Reflection in my render Elements.  Then in Photoshop if I use the Reflection channel over my Final output I set it to Screen Mode and adjust transparency of the channel.  That can be all it takes.  Sometimes I use Raw Reflection over the output and set it to Soft Light mode.  This give reflections along with a bit more contrast.  The only issue with Raw Reflection is that it can be a bit noisy compared to the other channels.  So the cheap fix is to reduce the noise in PS.  The better fix is to increase the Shading Rate in your render from the default of 6 up to 18 or more.  Increases time but worth it. 

AW

I just use the default PNG for all my channels.  Using the Reflection Channels is the only way to get the control of the reflections correct in your final image.  Since most materials have some degree of gloss it adds a lot of realism to the image.  It is also one of the great strengths of V-ray and every good illustrator uses it along with the depth of field channel and Material ID channel.  Knowing when to stop messing with your model and then taking it into 2D for corrections and modifications is key.  Channels allow that.  It will save you a lot of time and $$$$$.  Once you get the hang of it you can composite in minutes. 

On 11/8/2018 at 9:11 PM, Andrew West said:

One other channel that I have been using lately is the effects channel.  This contains the glare and bloom effects that help make the image a lot more realistic.  Especially the interior scenes. 

I like the sound of this. I'm going to see if I can figure out... I may come back with some questions.

In the mean time, here's an example image I did lately....

Tunnel Entrance.png

On 11/2/2018 at 8:55 AM, Jaakko said:

One of many. Lot's of rendering today ?

1150x644 pix., 2:20 min

desk1.jpg

For the comparison. This was made with Renderzone two years ago. Looks a bit blunt now.

desk2.jpg

Haha, I was scrolling up and saw the Renderzone image first and was thinking... meh, that's a bit naff. LOL

Vray one looks a million times better... nice job!

Edited by rmulley

Here's kind of a fun and unique one I designed on for the upcoming Winter X Games in Aspen.  It's an outdoor hospitality area at the base of the mountain where people can come and hang out and use the interactive areas to learn about the athletes.  There's also a dynamic art gallery with alternating projections and a DJ booth upstairs.  

CasaDeX-1b.effectsResult.thumb.jpg.36f71c593b5b7562e7e887ae5ac4ed36.jpg

CasaDeX-2b.effectsResult.thumb.jpg.30349af96c6c9289f7a88089c9e94ca0.jpg

WIP shots of current project.  Comments?

I always find water to be a real challenge in V-ray.  I really wish I could get caustics to work. No matter what I set it to I can not get it to change my image.  It just slows the rendering down and nothing else.  Has anyone gotten it to work with FMZ?

Condo 5 Kitchen_11_18.jpg

Condo 38_11_18.jpg

Spa_11_18.jpg

I have been going back and forth with V-ray lights experimenting with different combinations.  Plane lights are excellent for interiors but I usually start with a mesh light (box) floating in the middle of the space to start with.  I just need to make sure that it is not too close or intersecting any geometry.  Another thing I try to do is to make a plane light that has an image map (HDR) that brings some atmospheric color into the space.  Looks like you might have that as well.   Or did you add a dome light with a map?

I hope others can benefit from these conversations in the forum.