#21 nano

nano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Yes i'm finding that most work time atm is actually editing and building new libraries of materials such as various types of glass, metal and plastics - especially translucent. The default glass and metal ranges just have not worked well for me for any of the architectural environments so far. I have had to build new ones for just about every base metal and surface finish. Although the default set are useful reference starters - it would be nice to have access to items like the Chaosgroup VRScans material libraries - but scanning my own textures atm seems to be working well so far - if a little tedious -especially the photoshop work. And deciding which base material setup to use takes a lot of reference reading... and then endless test renders.

#22 Andrew West

Andrew West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

For the record Corey has warned me a couple of times about using materials that we find on the web.  They can cause all sorts of problems and I can verify this.  I believe that the materials packaged with V-ray are okay but from my experience I too need to substantially modify them for my use.  There was not a single glass material that worked the way I wanted so I created a few.  The rest of my architectural materials can easily be used with the standard Generic translation engine.  Once I load my map I then change the reflection color to a lighter grey (black by default for some reason) and then I change my gloss factor to something realistic.  High gloss would be .95 and matte would be .25.  Correct me if I am wrong. 

• Justin Montoya and nano like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users