2 replies to this topic

#1 bbuxton

bbuxton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:19 AM

Seriously it is the worst block/symbol/component system of any 3D application I have ever come across.

What is the point of a component if moving or rotating either edits the original definition or explodes the instance or creates a new definition?

Component transforms should not be considered edits to the original definition, If I want to edit the original definition I should open it or use edit component.

• andrew likes this

#2 jeffgrune

jeffgrune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

I am running into this problem with Components. I've been using formZ for 20 years and the Symbol system was always reliable. Files with placed symbols were compact. The Symbol Library file could be opened, edited and the changes would be reflected in all instances of the symbol anywhere it was placed.

Now, with the Component system, every placed Component becomes embedded, increasing the file size. What was a 3 MB file in FormZ 6.5 has become a 202 MB file in FormZ 8.5. Changing a layer a Component is on brings a dialog about changing the original Component. It shouldn't matter to the original what layer a Component is on in a scene and the Components bring their layer info with them and add it to the list of layers in the scene.

Other serious problems are happening when I edit a Component in the original library and the edit is not duplicated in the embedded Component, so the change doesn't show up in the renderings.

The purpose of embedded Components is to make the file portable so the original library is not necessary for someone else to work on it in a different location.

I have no need for portability of my FormZ files. I don't want embedded Components in my scenes. I do have a need for more compact file sizes and bulletproof synchrony with the original. Component Library.

#3 andrew

andrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

I'll suggest that the old method of having Library Files that then referenced proxies in the modeling file was a superior way of working with projects, especially over time, when a Library represented catagories of objects or a client's assets.  

I have a Library file now where I keep some assets, and when I bring them in I explode them and using a different layer. I just cant afford to have the new system screw up days of work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users