AutoDesSys

V-Ray for form•Z Beta now available!

Tech

Wow, thanks for the update and public beta!

While attempting to load pre-built vrmat files from the folder "V-Ray for formZ Beta" within the Plugins folder, the file system allows the selection of a material however the "open" button does not responding, making it impossible to load a pre-built material. Is this a known issue?

I had also problems until downloaded the fresh build.

Now I am wondering if there is option to import Vray scenes (from Sketchup). That would solve all file conversion problems. 

No unfortunately isn't a way to import Vray scenes from other Vray scenes created in other modellers like Maya and 3D Max can - you can export them from formZ and I believe Maya and 3D Max Vray can import the Vray scene you create in formZ.

I would love to see formZ have that flexibility.

Is it inadvisable to install this along with say... Maxwell?

I mean on the same FormZ V8.6 copy on the same machine?

I want to try out Vray but I'm still working on Maxwell dependent jobs at the moment.

Thanks,

Des

@Smarttec and Tech,

My post above is misunderstood.

I'm not looking to import scenes. There's something wrong with the file system when trying to import vrmats (Vray includes a materials library in the form of .vrmat file.) It is not possible to import because once the file is selected, the open button does not work.

Shibui Design,

Loading .vrmat material files is working fine for me here on both Mac and W10.  I'm not sure why you are having trouble, but as always, try a system reboot and see if that helps.  If still not, I would make sure you have the latest WIP build 9983 - http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_work_in_progress.html and after installing that, try reinstalling the Vray for Formz plugin.

Is there an email address for v-ray related bug reports etc.?

We also need tutorials and manual.

I can't create proxy objects in Form Z. It doesn't create any file. In Sketchup you must group objects before exporting vray proxies. But that is not the case in Form Z or is it?

Now I don't know if I am doing something wrong or wrestling with a bug. 

But again, Great work AutoDesSys and Chaos Group!

The create proxy tool requires a click in the window to define the origin. Then it will ask for the name and location for the vrmesh file to be saved. We observed that the prompts are not functioning for this tool. Also the icon should stay selected to indicate it is the active tool. We will get this fixed, but the tool does work even without these (you just need to click to define the origin)

Please send any emails to vray@formz.com

We posted new builds of V-Ray for formZ and formZ 8.6 WIP this morning (11-06-17). All beta testers should receive and email with the details (or you can use the links from the previous email to install the latest version)

Sorry guys for this potentialy stupid question, but where can i download the vray for formz plugin? i downloaded and installed the latest formz build 9985 and the vray licence software, but there is no vray available in formz... can someone help? 

Vray is fantastic! You can have decent material even with moderate MBP. And it is fast.

If I am not mistaken, there is at least three valid material format for Vray: vrmat, vismat and mat. Mat is obviously Autodesk Max material and can't be used in FormZ without conversion. But you can open vismat file in Edit dialog window. So is there issues that I should know when using vismat. Is mat->vrmat material converter coming for OSX?

Sorry guys for this potentialy stupid question, but where can i download the vray for formz plugin? i downloaded and installed the latest formz build 9985 and the vray licence software, but there is no vray available in formz... can someone help? 

You have to register to be a beta tester - before the actual release.

http://www.formz.com/home/vrayLanding.html

Vray is fantastic! You can have decent material even with moderate MBP. And it is fast.

If I am not mistaken, there is at least three valid material format for Vray: vrmat, vismat and mat. Mat is obviously Autodesk Max material and can't be used in FormZ without conversion. But you can open vismat file in Edit dialog window. So is there issues that I should know when using vismat. Is mat->vrmat material converter coming for OSX?

Glad you are liking Vray!

Forget what you know historically about Vray.  There was a lot of old 3DSMAX proprietary stuff that is not going to be used moving forward.  As I understand it, VRMAT is the only format you need to use from here on out.  That means old materials made in 3DSMAX in the VISMAT, and MAT formats are considered obsolete and will not be supported.

Yes and even one more Vray supports the Material Definition Language (MDL) from nVidia iRay which is the new kid on the block and a huge....! capability. There are thousands of materials available there.

I believe that Vray for formZ will import these as well.

• Tech unpinned this topic

Archived