11 replies to this topic

#1 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

v8.6's clones are fantastic! It's something I've wanter for years. Can we get an addition to the context menu? Right click on an object and Select All Clones would be a welcome addition.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen_Shot_2017-10-26_at_9_19_28_AM.jpg

#2 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado, USA

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Is there anyone who can explain a clone vs. component?  I have downloaded 8.6 and want to give it a whirl...

FormZ PRO v8.5.  2017 iMac 4.0 GHz quad core i7 24MB RAM and a 2015 Macbook Pro quad core i7 16MB RAM, Modern Architecture in Boulder and Denver Colorado www.ASONEarchitecture.com 

#3 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

I'd like to know the official answer as well.

Currently I see distinct advantages to both... clones are instances that are live in the file. They are not housed in a library. I think the benefit here is that modifications happen much faster. You have the ability to transform Clones individually or as a group (Family). Imagine an array of objects: you can rotate one and they all rotate individually, not as a group. Of course you can rotate them as a group as well.

Components are externally referenced FMZ files. You can have them on multiple layers, etc. They can live in a component library for easy access. 

Edited by etroxel, 26 October 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#4 Des

Des

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:49 AM

It really is great that clones are back.

I used to use clones regularly for repetitive elements like balustrade uprights for example.

Something simple like that which doesn't necessarily require to be a component, it's easier and much quicker as a clone.

But, we need the clone tools back as well to be able to control the clones.

Edited by Des, 27 October 2017 - 04:49 AM.

#5 FZnoob

FZnoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:15 AM

Must I be the first one to say "Send in the clones"?

*****For those of you old enough to remember Judy Collins.****

• Des likes this

#6 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

It is really great to have the return of the clones! One suggestion though; rounding edges of a clone is currently not propagated to other clones and separates that clone from being linked to the others. Can this be changed so that all other clones reflect the rounded edges and remian linked? In addition to Evan’s request, can clones also be added to object types in the Select By Palette?
  • etroxel likes this

#7 ASONE

ASONE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado, USA

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Sounds promising!  Looking forward to checking them out.

FormZ PRO v8.5.  2017 iMac 4.0 GHz quad core i7 24MB RAM and a 2015 Macbook Pro quad core i7 16MB RAM, Modern Architecture in Boulder and Denver Colorado www.ASONEarchitecture.com 

#8 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:38 AM

If there is anything beyond obvious regarding clones please could we have some documentation about what they are and how to use them including any limitations, or actions which turn them into a normal object.

• Bo Atkinson likes this

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

#9 FZnoob

FZnoob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

I just did a test where I took an object and "copied" it 9 times and saved the file.

Then I did the same thing but copied them as  "clones".

I was surprised to file the file size of both to be the exact same.

I would have thought the "cloned" file would be smaller.

#10 setz

setz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

Tech correct me if I'm wrong here, Clones are not instances.  Components are used for this.  Clones don't save memory and so you may reasonably ask what the need for them would be.

Clones are really, really easy to use and, when implemented as before in V6, they were bulletproof, rock solid, dependable.  Another difference is that if you mirror a Clone it retains it's link to the original, but mirrored, which is invaluable in many grid and radial array situations.  It's also possible to rotate all clones as a group or individually which can also be quite useful.  Hope this helps.

#11 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

Yes clones are not instances and they will not make a file smaller (for backwards compatibility). Clones are connected by links between objects that allow changes applied to one, to be applied to all the cloned objects (a.k.a clone family.) Clones are applied between objects (they do not handle groups or object collections like components).

#12 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

Thank you. This explanation is what has been required for those of us who were unacquainted with them.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users