AutoDesSys

V-Ray for form•Z Beta now available!

Tech

allan,

you can run two versions of fz on one machine:

one with the plugin and one without

vva

Hi vva,

Thank you for that information, I didn't know this; however, if I am prepared to go to the effort of installing a second copy of FZ on my same computer, will this introduce confusion either to myself or the program with regard to where it/they look for preference files, libraries, most recent files etc?, and will this increase the occasions where I cannot use the program at all being locked out due to a 'too many computers' trigger, which has already been a problem due to working on 2 machines and at least 2 locations but never simultaneously? Although I appreciate the information, I think what you suggest could open a can of worms.

Since i already opened the can of worms i maybe can answer your questions, i have 8.57 and 8.6 installed, and of course named the programs with that number. In my case i use the same preferences and workspaces without problems, and recent files are exactly the same as far as i can see, never use recent files though. And i dont use libraries, so i cant answer that question.

Hope this helps a bit.

Since i already opened the can of worms i maybe can answer your questions, i have 8.57 and 8.6 installed, and of course named the programs with that number. In my case i use the same preferences and workspaces without problems, and recent files are exactly the same as far as i can see, never use recent files though. And i dont use libraries, so i cant answer that question.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks ingoerik, that is a little bit reassuring, however, 8.57 and 8.6 isn't the same as 2 copies of 8.6. Surprised you don't use libraries though. I find my component libraries indispensable (but I do not retain them as components in my models).

Well, i am faster replacing a set of 20 windows then building up a component library and use that, and now that we have clones back it makes my life easier too. I usually copy elements out of an old project into a new project, so components are not needed.

So if my internet goes down for a couple hours I can't use V-Ray at all?  That sucks.  There are times when I do not have internet for short periods of time.  

I would love the released version to only need to connect once a day, but maybe V-Ray doesn't work like this across the board?   Maybe the final version could only have  to connect once every 24 hours or something like that???  

All my other CAD software programs allowing working offline: FormZ, Vectorworks, Draftsight

If you have an unsteady internet connection, you are likely going to want to use the 14 day offline license all of the time.  That way you only have to connect every 2 weeks to renew the offline license.

All,

Unfortunately we do not control the licensing for V-Ray. This licensing method is the same for all V-Ray implementations. While internet based licensing has some downside, it also has some upside as well. The biggest upside is the pooling of licenses making it very easy to share licenses between machines without the need to re-install (or buy a license per machine when not used simultaneously). 

Licenses can be borrowed (checked out) for the occasions when an internet connection will not be available. For installations with no internet access at all, V-Ray does support a older style dongle which we hope to make available as an option. 

The V-Ray licensing is quite efficient. The queries between the plugin and the license server are very fast. We suspect that the delay you are experiencing is not from the licensing itself, but just the overhead of loading the plugin and the basic initialization of V-Ray. We will investigate if this process can be improved as we approach release.

Thanks Tech. As I've said before, as I only need to render occasionally, I would like to activate the V-Ray side of things only when I need to, and not connect with V-Ray on the 95% other occasions I am using FZ. Otherwise I may decide not to buy the V-Ray plugin, and take the route instead of exporting my file, opening in eg. Blender and use a Render Farm which supports the Blender V-Ray plugin for the few occasions I require it.

• 1 month later...

Working with MacOs High Sierra 10.13.3

Latest FormZ 8.6 WIP Build 9999 and latest Vray

I am not able to connect to the Vray License Server anymore.
I have downloaded the latest app vrlservice_osx_4.5.1
It shows that the installation process has finished successfully.

I am not able to connect to the server http://localhost:30304 to check the I am connected.
There is the message, that the Webrowser is not able to open the page, because it is not able to establish a connections.

There was an issue with an earlier version of the beta installer that could leave some permissions set wrong on OS X. There is a folder in your home directory called /.ChaosGroup. Its a hidden folder (hence the dot at the beginning). This folder may now have the wrong permissions assigned to it.

Here is how to fix this:

First you  need to be able to see hidden files in the finder. This is off by default on OS X just to keep things simple to the OS X user.
• Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities.
• In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
• Press return.
• Hold the 'Option/alt' key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and select Relaunch.

To fix the permissions:

- In the Finder, navigate to your home folder and you will see the .ChaosGroup folder.
- Select this folder.
- Select get Get Info from the File menu (or right click and select Get Info).
- In the info window, click the lock icon in the lower right to unlock the interface and type your password.
- Make sure that the Ownership of the folder which is the top line of permissions has your user name (indicated with “Me”) and the permissions  are set to Read and Write.
- Click on the gear at he bottom of the window and select "Apply To enclosed items” and select OK.
- You can now try the license serve again, but you may need to re-instal it (its located in /Applications/formz 8/plugins/V-Ray for formZ/vrlservice_osx_4.4.1.bin).

If you no longer wish to see hidden files.  You can repeat the process above, just change the defaults line:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Hi There

A question for the vray testers:

I am wondering how it works with mapped textures (map texture): Is it possible to map a texture in formz and render it in vray?

By the way: Do I need to create a new material for every image i want to put on the wall?

Thanks

There was an issue with an earlier version of the beta installer that could leave some permissions set wrong on OS X. There is a folder in your home directory called /.ChaosGroup. Its a hidden folder (hence the dot at the beginning). This folder may now have the wrong permissions assigned to it.

Here is how to fix this:

First you  need to be able to see hidden files in the finder. This is off by default on OS X just to keep things simple to the OS X user.

• Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities.

• In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

• Press return.

• Hold the 'Option/alt' key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and select Relaunch.

To fix the permissions:

- In the Finder, navigate to your home folder and you will see the .ChaosGroup folder.

- Select this folder.

- Select get Get Info from the File menu (or right click and select Get Info).

- In the info window, click the lock icon in the lower right to unlock the interface and type your password.

- Make sure that the Ownership of the folder which is the top line of permissions has your user name (indicated with “Me”) and the permissions  are set to Read and Write.

- Click on the gear at he bottom of the window and select "Apply To enclosed items” and select OK.

- You can now try the license serve again, but you may need to re-instal it (its located in /Applications/formz 8/plugins/V-Ray for formZ/vrlservice_osx_4.4.1.bin).

If you no longer wish to see hidden files.  You can repeat the process above, just change the defaults line:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

i've followed your instructions, but still cannot install with latest vray installer (downladed right now).

i'm getting a "ERROR: Unable to obtain temporary file for uninstall log of V-Ray Online License Server" at a certain point during installation and it stops there, see screenshot.

post-89-0-56101000-1516215464_thumb.png

I have rendered a project mapped entirely in FormZ in V-Ray.  Seems to work fine.  I ended up with a mix of stock FormZ materials, my own texture maps, and V-Ray materials.  All rendered just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hello,

I have  basic questions. I've never used Vray at all. but I am tired of the slowness (but great quality ) of Maxwell. Also I find the materials in Maxwell very complicated to create.

1.) So, is Vray 'faster' than Maxwell for a somewhat comparable result?

2.) With a Vray plugin, can i expect to do all modelling and lighting in FormZ and get everything translated, or will I have to learn Vray?

Thanks-

Peter

Peter, 

The v-ray plugin is integrated quite nicely with formZ, so it kinda works right "out of the box".  Most formZ materials will translate into formZ without an issue, and some of the lights will.  But to really get into the power of v-ray, it would be best to explore some of it's more profound features.  Check out the webinar replay on youtube: 

Archived