AutoDesSys

V-Ray for form•Z Beta now available!

Tech

In the upcoming months I will have several houses that will require rendering.  Probably one exterior and interior per house.  If anyone is interested in rendering this via the FormZ V-Ray plug-in please contact me.   

• 2 weeks later...

First impressions very good. Very nice slider controls to alter the colour correction, exposure, contrast etc after the render. How do we alter the size of the rendering window please?

Go to "Vray Settings" select Select the TAB 'Camera' next one down amongst many options is 'Render Output' - select the size you want?

Yes the final release will work with formZ jr v8.6 and formZ SE v8.6 (Student Edition) when they are released.

The list price for V-Ray is expected to be 695 USD (the same price as other V-Ray products like V-Ray for SketchUp, V-Ray for Rhino, and V-Ray for Revit).

Yes the final release will work with formZ jr v8.6 and formZ SE v8.6 (Student Edition) when they are released.

The list price for V-Ray is expected to be 695 USD (the same price as other V-Ray products like V-Ray for SketchUp, V-Ray for Rhino, and V-Ray for Revit).

Thank you, that is useful to know. Is that a perpetual license or annual subscription? What will happen with Lightworks Renderzone? Will that continue to be updated and upgraded as a FormZ plugin or is that going to have support terminated or left to tread water at it's current level? Do you see V-Ray as being a replacement for Renderzone, or for Maxwell or an additional option?  As a subscriber to Family Plan pro with Renderzone, which would normally include periodical updates, I am wondering how the pricing will be determined for members especially as they are offered discounts for new plugins. I can see some benefits to V-Ray, but due to significant cost it might be time to compare it with Maxwell or even consider how great the need is for it.

This is the perpetual floating license price (i.e. it is not node locked). There may be a subscription option and there will be options for additional render nodes as well. There likely will be special offer available to family plan subscribers. All of these details will be available at release time next month.

Unfortunately Lightworks has not been making significant improvements to the engine behind RenderZone to keep it competitive going forward. We will continue to support RenderZone in its current form to keep it compatible with future versions of formZ (until some circumstances beyond our control affect our ability to do so). 

1) If I close the Vray interactive window, sometimes I can't open it again, I get "cannot connect to license server" and I have to restart formZ.

2) Also, the Vray material editor seem to be missing.

3) And how do we specify an environment for a scene?

The activation email I got had the download link stripped out (presumably by our firewall).

I contacted Chaos about this issue directly on 11/17/17.

At this point, all I received was an auto generated message saying "Generally, you can expect to hear back from us within a couple of days".

Hi ZVtech,

Yes resetting the workspace fixed the problem of the Renderzone Icon disappearance.

Would it be possible for you to post the Vray Webinar we had last week or is there a Tutorial available on how to get started with VRay?

Thanks

Kim

1) If I close the Vray interactive window, sometimes I can't open it again, I get "cannot connect to license server" and I have to restart formZ.

2) Also, the Vray material editor seem to be missing.

3) And how do we specify an environment for a scene?

1.Have you checked that you haven't still got it rendering - there is 'Vray Progress' palette  with all others under the <Palettes Menu >

2. On selecting the Vray Material - I get an 'edit' button that gives me the material editor

3. I Vray settings there are 10 different selections under the <Camera> option tag - one of them is for Environments

I am not happy that FormZ 8.6 pro can take a lot longer to open than 8.5

Perhaps it is because I use my laptop in different wifi locations, like my home and work.

The lag seems to be while there is a message displayed about V-Ray license server.

Even more concerning, what if it fails, is that putting us at risk of not using FormZ if it is unable to do what it needs to with the V-Ray licence server?

I get the impression V-Ray are more concerned about protecting themselves than they are about us getting our work done.

I would like 8.6 and all future versions to have an option in preferences where the program does not log into the V-Ray server until we hit the V-Ray button. Why do V-Ray need to know how often we use Form-Z anyway? Surely all they need to do is protect themselves from V-Ray actually being used without legitimacy, not the whole of Form-Z as well. At least 95% of my work does not involve high quality rendering. Shaded Full is adequate for most of my work anyway and is almost instantaneous.

I guess that Vray logs into the license server is only because its a Beta, would be nonsense to have it in the final version since most people don't connect their work computers to the interwebs. Thats why i have installed FormZ 8.6 on another machine for testing that is connected to the net.

ingo-

All Vray products (not just FormZ) require a license server, and every single professional I know uses the internet daily for their work in downloading files such as new assets, and sending files such as completed renderings. 

That being said,  I too sometimes work when traveling on my laptop, away from a reliable internet connection, and cannot send or receive files until I get back on the internet.  I asked about offline rendering for Vray and there is a way to 'borrow' a license for 14 days offline for rendering without connecting to the license server.  If you go onto http://localhost:30304/#/borrow, you will see the steps involved to do this.  

Thanks for the info, Justin. Well the companies i work with all use extra tabletts/smartphones or laptops for their internet stuff, but their work computers are decoupled from the interwebs, they have just an internal network. So all data exchange works with usb-sticks, no big problem, i just need it for importing the dwgs or sending out pictures.

Hmm, that makes Vray pretty useless for me, thats why i have to agree with Alan when he said : I get the impression V-Ray are more concerned about protecting themselves than they are about us getting our work done. 

Thanks for the info, Justin. Well the companies i work with all use extra tabletts/smartphones or laptops for their internet stuff, but their work computers are decoupled from the interwebs, they have just an internal network. So all data exchange works with usb-sticks, no big problem, i just need it for importing the dwgs or sending out pictures.

Hmm, that makes Vray pretty useless for me, thats why i have to agree with Alan when he said : I get the impression V-Ray are more concerned about protecting themselves than they are about us getting our work done. 

I know this is a huge problem for Govt or highly controlled IT networks... I have a number of clients who use formZ and to keep them up to date is a nightmare as they can't connect to the outside internet or manage a simple update, because it's web based. They are at a huge disadvantage due to security based permissions.

All software authors I know 'sniff' out your usage and consequently allow their services. Remember you never own software just a license to use and 'Vray- Chaos Labs' is no different to others. Please read the 'EULA' on all your software and be surprised by what the software owners can do on your machine in exchange for the software use.

I like the fact that Vray allows you to borrow time for non networked usage.

I know this is a huge problem for Govt or highly controlled IT networks... I have a number of clients who use formZ and to keep them up to date is a nightmare as they can't connect to the outside internet or manage a simple update, because it's web based. They are at a huge disadvantage due to security based permissions.

All software authors I know 'sniff' out your usage and consequently allow their services. Remember you never own software just a license to use and 'Vray- Chaos Labs' is no different to others. Please read the 'EULA' on all your software and be surprised by what the software owners can do on your machine in exchange for the software use.

I like the fact that Vray allows you to borrow time for non networked usage.

So if my internet goes down for a couple hours I can't use V-Ray at all?  That sucks.  There are times when I do not have internet for short periods of time.  

I would love the released version to only need to connect once a day, but maybe V-Ray doesn't work like this across the board?   Maybe the final version could only have  to connect once every 24 hours or something like that???  

All my other CAD software programs allowing working offline: FormZ, Vectorworks, Draftsight

Well there is a difference between just connecting to control if there is a valid license and collecting user data, the later is illegal in many countries. In Modo you have the same problem, but you only have to connect once a month and you can even ask for a license that dont need an internet connection.

Just think what happens if the Chaos-Group server collapses or will be attacked, that will be a lot of fun ... well, kind off.  :D

Archived