AutoDesSys

Drag and Drop material texture files

AsOne

Could we get drag and drop for importing texture files implemented?  

Create new material.

Click to set material to texture.

Drag and drop texture file over Material palette from desktop or finder.  Probably it would drop over the default "FormZ" image box or over the file folder image.

This would replace having to click the file folder image to open Mac Finder, which I then have to manually located the file and hit enter.  I have shortcuts in finder to make this process faster, but drag and drop would be even better.  Typically on a separate monitor I already have a finder window open with my project folder open.  

I think if formZ was able to put two materials on top of each other... like a wood panel texture and then put a user-defined material on top of it (resize, un-tile and add alpha for to make the "decal") that would be a step up.

The whole "decal mapping" thing is so antiquated. C4D has it right.

Stacking materials on top of each other is part of the rendering engine.  Correct me if I am wrong here.  The antiquated Lightscape plugin will not be updated any time soon.  To do what you are asking requires a third party render engine like Maxwell or Vray.  Pricey options but well worth it in my opinion. 

This appears to be a 'RenderZone' issue, which being an old end of life 'Lightworks' technology. Any changes to RenderZone now is like putting 'Lipstick on a Pig'! It has its place, it produces nice results but it is not a modern renderer and will not be vastly improved - nor should be - there are much better options.

Texture Map Edit Tool Options available in the Material Parameters would be a nice way to clean things up.  I feel like I'm always remapping the same textures on multiple objects because if I edit a material on an object, then paint another object with that material, it goes back to default.  I want to set up all options and keep them.  

I'm aware of the Copy Attributes tool, but I can't tell you how many times I click in the wrong order  :rolleyes:

Archived