AutoDesSys

From Foem Z to Unreal engine

emarinlara

Hello, as a current user of Form Z into Mac OS X environment, I am looking for a way to bring 3D models from Form Z to Unreal engine. In order to do this properly a step on UV mapping and Unwrapping is a must and most of sites and tutorials refers to 3DS Max to do it. Since there is no 3DS Max for Mac, I am wondering if there is another way to do that avoiding 3DS...

Thanks

• 11 months later...

i guess FZ with a direct export option to unreal engine would attract many new customers. i'm also very interested into this connection, but currently using other 3d packages on mac for this purpose seem to be more promising. maybe FZ can add this in the upcoming V9?

While I'm not familiar with Unreal specifically, speaking to your hardware issue, I can tell you that if you are thinking of continuing to use a Mac for 3D professional work, it is a lost cause.  I also loved the Unix based Mac OS for many many years.  However, Apple appears to have died with Steve Jobs.  We have not been given any true Professional workstation since the Mac Pro Tower Circa 2010-2012.  That is ancient in computer technology terms.  The software support side from Apple for professional apps has also been deprecated.  Just look at them discontinuing OpenGL support.  The lack of support goes on and on.  You will be constantly running into issues if you continue to use MacOS for professional 3d work.  Sad but true.

I went through this process a little over a year ago, and I can tell you that now working with a modern Windows 10 workstation (AMD 1950x 16 cores @ 4.0ghz, 32gb Ram, and NVME SSD) which cost less than a new horrible MacbookPro.  I am getting far more work done, far faster than ever before when I was on a 12 core Mac Pro tower.  I can run 3DStudioMax for working with other users and MAX files, while keeping FormZ and my primary 3D software.  VRay for FormZ runs amazing with my 3 NVIDIA GPUs too.  Something you simply can't get in a Mac without a bunch of workarounds and a lot more headache.

I'm far from a Windows 10 zealot, but given the options, it's pretty much our only choice these days.  W10 works way better than any version of Windows in the past, and is much more Mac like as well.  I'd love to see Linux as a viable option, but until we have Adobe Creative Studio on Linux and FormZ on Linux, I'm stuck with Windows.  Oh well, it's really not that bad, and after switching to Android (Pixel on ProjectFi)  I've saved a ton of money and greatly prefer the Google open ecosystem.

• 4 months later...

Archived