AutoDesSys

3D scanners and FZ

FZnoob

I have had some experience,

The short answer is, its a complicated process.

I built a laser scanner some years ago based on the David Laser Scanner system. It was very cool but it took a lot of work to get a complete scan.

David has since been bought out by HP. 

Their new systems use structured light rather than a laser. it is MUCH faster and more accurate.

You can build your own system pretty easily and buy just the software, or you can buy a ready to scan kit.

In my mind this is the best, most versatile scanner available for under $$5000

David / HP Scanner

I have also used the 3D systems Sense saner, it was terrible!

Bevel 3D makes a scanner that attaches to your phone, TERRIBLE

I have also used various systems that are based off of the Microsoft Kinect. These are OK but most of the software is incomplete.

Lastly, the photogrammetry software from Autodesk is pretty good. but it is not cheap - they do offer a trial.

this technology does a very good job of scanning, stitching and cleaning up the model so you have something to work with.

It is bar far the easiest to use.

let me know if you have some specific questions I can try to answer.

Bart

Chris,

This will be used to approximate product sizes for displays or packaging.

We run into issues where remote offices (sometimes overseas) are working on design projects, and often there isn't time to ship a sample to them for sizing.

Other times we are working from a prototype and only 1 is available.

So we are looking at 3D scanners as a way to relay the sizing information in a more accurate way.

We are talking about smaller consumer products. Everything from drills to cosmetics.

There are a variety of hand held units that use structured light and are probably accurate enough for your needs. Take a look at Artec and Creaform.

Greater accuracy is possible from fixed systems, tripod or table mounted, and could be structured light similar to Evatronix or laser, such as Faro or Romer scanning arms.

In my industry (entertainment design), all scanning is moving rapidly towards photogrammetry.  Good software is expensive but generates super accurate detailed geometry.  Shiny, transparent and reflective surfaces are problematic but there are workarounds.  High end I use Photomodeler Scanner, Low end I use Agisoft Photscan.  Better camera = better results so that cost needs to be considered as well.

I do think photogrammety has possibilities, even where greater accuracy is required. Unfortunately there is no "turnkey" solution there, or at least none that I am aware of. It's possible to research and build a system that could meet one's specific requirements.

Archived