AutoDesSys

Layout fuzzy text and part of page cut off.

Alan Cooper

When I print my layout file to pdf (I'm using size A4  and scale to media) I get fuzzy blurred text.

It is also cutting off part of the right hand side of the page.

I have tried various fonts, no improvement. I can get a reasonable result by exporting each individual sheet to png and printing a pdf document using pdf 995 or soda pdf from the results, but the vector drawings are less clear. I have a choice, clear text or clear line-work or best of all screen capture my screen and print those results to pdf but I should be able to print better than that. Any advice please?

form·Z® Layout PrJob 005.pdf

Hi Alan, 

Are you bringing these dimensions in from the FMZ file?  That is, are these showing up in the Layout Frame, or are you adding them within Layout?

We haven’t seen this “blurry” issue before, nor can we reproduce it right now, so if you can supply us with more information and/or files so we will be able to further assist.

Hi Tech,

I am dimensioning in layout in this case and also using leader dimensions to add notes.

Glad that this is not happening to everyone else, maybe it is specific to this screen resolution:

17inch Dell Precision M6700 laptop 1920 x 1080 as recommended. Windows 7 pro.

I can get clear text by selecting the vector print option, but then I lose part of the dimension lines and the hidden lines.

See attached, both types of print output shown, zoomed to 300%

I will also email you the fml file and 4 fmz files used for the fml file to reference from.

post-242-0-51458700-1501908294_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-37100400-1501908309_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-02199900-1501908321_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

Believe me, happens here as wel on Mac.

And, ADS answer is always the same: never happens on their computers... ????

Thank you Hugo. Sorry to hear you also have this problem. FZ is really good at what it is good at, modelling, but there are other issues at least some of us should not have to put up with. Of course FZ has been used for architecture by many long term users (like you just posted in another thread) for many years but these sorts of problems are what hold back many I think because little problems are time consuming to get around. We should be moving forward faster than this, if to keep pace with Sketchup etc (which I don't like for modelling compared to FZ) but am worried about whether my pet preference is sensible...hopefully a little more patience will prevail.

Alan,

I also use Vectorworks more then 23 years and had a supscription till 2014, because i did not believe in the way VWX developed, i stopped that supscription. I focused ever since more on FORMZ because in my opinion ADS got the clue how 3D modelling should be. Now, after the last 3 years working more intensively with FMZ, i am disappointed about FMZ, because of the many many issues it has. In other posts of mine i speak about it. Those issues are about minor errors, poor output, layout in general, etc. Many of these issues are not fixed.

Since 3 weeks i consider to buy again a supscription Vectorworks 2017, with the idea to use this program instead of FORMZ. Why? Not because of the modelling capabilities, but because i am able to deliver drawings on the higest quality, no surpises, just perfect output in vector and pixel!

My patience has nearly come to an end. UNFORTUNALY...

Hugo

Does the perfect program even exist? I haven't tried VW. But I am a part time user and cannot justify anything with high price tag. FormZ modelling is a joy to use. But AD need to 'catch the little foxes which spoil the vines' to quote Solomon. Many, many of those foxes have been caught in the time I have been using FZ, 3 to 4 years but still a little way to go yet. I love the way FormZ works which is why I put up with the many more little foxes it used to have prior to v 8.5.

Archived