AutoDesSys

Form Z free version doe export to Blender failure

xenolab

new here and new to Form Z

I'm following the thirty minutes house tutorial on YouTube to get to know things

need advise exporting dae to Blender

right now, no matter what I try, I get only one polygon to show up in Blender and not the entire mesh

actually I never encountered such problems before in any other software, so I think, either I'm doing something wrong or the exporter is a fail

what settings do I have to use?

do I need to triangulate the mesh or not?

what do I need to do to get it working?

any suggestions?

macOS Sierra 64bit

plenty of RAM etc.

edit:

in Sketchup is the same when exporting to KMZ

ps. I respect the Form Z policy not to include OBJ exporter but it doesn't make sense to strip a standard format

post-33230-0-84190700-1500748492_thumb.png

post-33230-0-95714800-1500748504_thumb.png

post-33230-0-59884000-1500749032_thumb.png

Hi Xenolab, 

To clarify, are you using formZ Free or the formZ Pro 30 Day Trial?  OBJ export is included in both formZ Jr and formZ Pro.  You can see a full product comparison including import/export formats here: http://www.formz.com/featureslist/FeatureComparisonChart.html

According to your screenshot, it looks like you have some improper geometry that you are trying to export.  Multiple lines on single surfaces usually indicate coplanar faces, which may cause issues upon exporting.  

Is this the tutorial you are following (see below)?  If so, please note that this tutorial was designed with the toolset of formZ Jr/formZ Pro in mind so the workflow may not work as expected when using formZ Free.

If you attach your formZ file to a forum post, we can further investigate the issue.

xenolab, 

As previously stated, if you were following the tutorial using formZ Free, it is not expected that you would be able to follow the workflow because that tutorial is for formZ Jr/Pro, which has a more advanced toolset than formZ Free.

In regards to your file, which format is your ideal destination format?  You may have to use the Separate tool on the stairs before exporting because the stairs are composed of a number of objects that are automatically joined together when they are created.  If you do that, does it work better for you?

xenolab, 

As previously stated, if you were following the tutorial using formZ Free, it is not expected that you would be able to follow the workflow because that tutorial is for formZ Jr/Pro, which has a more advanced toolset than formZ Free.

In regards to your file, which format is your ideal destination format?  You may have to use the Separate tool on the stairs before exporting because the stairs are composed of a number of objects that are automatically joined together when they are created.  If you do that, does it work better for you?

I will try the Separate tool (if I can find it)

preferably I would export to Wavefront OBJ, but as AutoDesSys decided it's a "pro-exporter" format we will have to go with Collada, I suppose

Thanks for all the input with all questions unanswered, it's sad to say but to admit defeat and time to move on.

FormZ is not currently in my budget as I have already spent enough cash on Cinema 4D 18 Visualize.

I was hoping to take FormZ Free into my workflow for minor things that are easier in FormZ than Cinema 4D.

take care all

cheers

xenolab, 

Sorry you are not finding our help to be useful.  If you'd like to continue this conversation and learn more about the power of formZ, please send an email to support@formz.com with your files and specific details you are encountering.

Archived