AutoDesSys

FormZ -> Quit with Multiple Files Open = Crash

24GB of RAM and a GTX 1070 8GB Graphics card.  

Files are not that big, though one of the files has gotten larger and larger over time despite being massively simplified.  Currently 178 MB, which is very large for a FormZ file for me, the other files that crashed were less than 60mb each.   I don't know if it is related, but that file has emedded components (flowers), not something I typically use.  When I created them, they helped render times drop dramatically as the heavy geometry of the flowers were no longer being calculated over and over.  However, I just noticed that for some reason there are now 2 embedded components of the same flower.... FormZ strangeness....

Hi Justin, Andrew, 

We were able to (unreliably) reproduce this problem.  Generally this seems to happen if you close multiple projects, click "Yes" to save one of them, and then click "Cancel" on the next  this can cause a crash.  Does this sound like the issue you have come across?

Flowers are always a bug-a-boo and cause file sizes to balloon! This would be the subject of a really top notch component category, but only if components play nicely. I haven't had success using components since the shift from symbols, V6 and earlier.

Shibui, 

If you are having issues working with components, we would like to know about these problems so they can be properly documented and fixed in the future.  If you can be specific and send files to support@formz.com, we would be happy to investigate!

Archived