a few more wishes
Hold down key when selecting to open Select By Criteria Palette.
Select by Criteria:
A button to set the pick criteria based on the current selection (the individual options are all highlighted and then just each section needs to be switched on if needed).
Guides are drawn on an autonomous layer (and this layer can be hidden from the layer list as an option) and can be temporarily switched on or off - an icon next to show axis and show grid in the display tools palette to control on/off and also a keyin, say Alt+ Spacebar to toggle on/ off.
Some changes to the way snapping works:
Explicit Tangent To and Tangent From and Perpendicular To and Perpendicular From options.
Say you wanted to draw a line from a point and finishing tangent to the circumference of a circle- from a point anywhere outside the circle there will be 2 tangent points to the circle so method could be:
- Pick a point to start line
- Choose the Tangent To snap (let’s say TT in quick succession to choose the snap as a keyin)
- Snap anywhere on the circle. The line will automatically snap to the nearest of the tangent points. Pressing the alt key would swap the end point of the line to the other tangent point if required.
- Click to accept the snap.
Say you then wanted to draw a line tangent from the circumference of a circle to any point outside:
- Choose the Tangent From snap (let’s say TF in quick succession as a keyin ).
- Click on the circumference of the circle at the desired point and then move the cursor away to rubber band the line from the chosen tangent point. Click to accept the chosen endpoint
- As an alternative holding down the alt key before choosing the first tangent point means that the tangent point will rubber band around the circumference until the line endpoint is chosen that locks the tangent point in place
Perpendicular To and From will operate in a similar fashion. (The current perpendicular snap does jump to the correct point at least) i.e. the Perp From will allow a point to be chosen on the line and the line will be drawn perpendicular from that point or holding down the alt key will allow the first point to rubberband along the line until the end point is chosen that locks the perp point in place (this alt option would also allow virtual perp points - that is the point would rubber band past the end points of the line along the vector to infinity.
Intersection snap to virtual intersections
i.e. snapping to the point where objects would cross if extended
- choose the intersection virtual snap (iv as keyin say)
- Pick the first object
- Pick the second object
- The point is displayed at the virtual intersection of the 2 objects. Accept to enter point. If there are 2 intersection points then again the alt key would jump the point to the other option.
Snap to Centre
If you have chosen this snap why can’t you then snap at any point on the surface to choose the centre of the face? This is much faster.
This is all typical cad snapping stuff.
Tool Options - Move: Repeat Copy
If the alt key is held down when clicking the mouse to make copies the transformation is applied but the copy is not made - so a row of copies can be made but say the middle few iterations of the copy can be left out by holding alt down at those clicks.
Same for the Rotate Tool version
Tool Options - Place Along Path
Options for the object orientation:
Perpendicular to path start point
Perpendicular at each path point
Perpendicular to path end point
I know you can alter the rotation widget to approximate these rotations- but I would rather have accuracy.
Placement method by number of copies but do not place first and last objects.
For the place on active Layer option for component placement I would like to have a relative hierarchy option. If the original component was on 5 layers say, then if placed in group option a group is created and 5 new layers are created within for the component (layers within follow group name or can be original component layers)
A replace all instances option
Lastly I would like all the tools, wherever possible to be parametric - I can then go back at any time and just all the various parameters to adjust the results - from initial input objects , to attributes propagating throughout etc.