AutoDesSys

Animated texture formats

Imagix

Which movie formats is it possible to use as formZ textures? I would usually use a .mov file, but that doesn't work when my sequence is rendered in Maxwell. Are there any other formats that might be supported by both formZ and Maxwell?

formZ will allow .mov files and .wav files (only on Windows) for animated textures.  This part of formZ is a part of RenderZone, and we are not sure how Maxwell will treat these files.  Perhaps Pylon will be able to chime in on this subject... 

Hi Imagix,

The standard in animation packages is to specify an image sequence (sequentially numbered frames). It would be great if formZ supported this approach.

We could conceivably support image sequences via independent controls in the Maxwell plugin, but then you would not be able to preview the animated texture in Shaded Work or Shaded Full, which would significantly limit the usefulness of the implementation.

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/2932-animated-texture

I have always missed support for image sequences in formZ.

It would be awesome to have image sequences work in shaded etc., but for now ANY way of adding support for image sequences through the Maxwell plugin would be very welcome.

Limitations (like this) in formZ animation capabilities is the one thing that has ever made me consider another modelling/animation package. But I sure prefer to "find a way".

Maybe a "simple" solution could be to use the Material parameters dialog to indicate if a material has a texture that is part of an image sequence. Then you would "just" have to advance the texture used for that material during animation export :-)

Archived