AutoDesSys

bend to path, how?

3dworks

I think this does what you were wanting.

Steps:

Union the railing geometry.  You had a top detail that was not really attached so I moved it down a touch to allow it to Union to the rest.

Reverse Direction of your Poly line you want to Bend to.  Otherwise your railing will be upside down from its current orientation.

Bend Along Path tool - Lovingly referred to as the Pretzel tool around these parts.  Select the unioned railing geometry first, then the poly line.  Preserve Proportions option, though you can change it to Preserve Original Size if that is more inline with your final goal.

Done.  

Does that help you?

3dworks_bend_to_path-JM.fmz.zip

post-219-0-46761300-1497287925_thumb.png

I think this does what you were wanting.

Steps:

Union the railing geometry.  You had a top detail that was not really attached so I moved it down a touch to allow it to Union to the rest.

Reverse Direction of your Poly line you want to Bend to.  Otherwise your railing will be upside down from its current orientation.

Bend Along Path tool - Lovingly referred to as the Pretzel tool around these parts.  Select the unioned railing geometry first, then the poly line.  Preserve Proportions option, though you can change it to Preserve Original Size if that is more inline with your final goal.

Done.  

Does that help you?

justin, thank you very much, i guess the unioning before using the tool and reversing directions of the path where the things i missed to do! i wish FZ's tools would be more intuitive to use...

I agree about FZ tools, they seem to be over engineered and miss the common usage forcing users to dig too much to achieve what they want. Take a serious look at how refined MOI is. I find myself spending more time scrolling menu's and digging through ghosts than simply modeling.

I disagree mostly because I have been using FormZ for so long, that these things are pretty natural.  However, I was coming from Rhino before and the way their tool step call outs was very helpful.  I think FormZ offers this in a much more in depth manner with the Right Click on the tool > 'View Video'  feature.  This is a tremendous resource for users.  

I'm not sure why you are scrolling through menu's and digging through ghosts?  It sounds like you should take some time to understand FormZ better and customize it to your needs.  

I have used Rhino and Amapi Pro but what I was referring to is that many times the default tool action isn't what you would expect such as an array on a path, more often than not the orientation of the object is not what you want.

I think the interface could be more refined as compared to MOI and Amapi Pro where minimal tools are required to do many similar actions. Creation of new objects tend to fall in default positions and ignore last z position and snaps can be weak. I find FZ to be tool heavy. Don't get me wrong, I do like FZ and use it now as my primary modeler but it can be very awkward at times.

Archived