AutoDesSys

Surface textures & embossing

Hutchy1980

Hi All,

I have to create a lot of models that have textured surface pattern, is there a good method for creating embossed geometry on the surface of an object? Attached are some ceramic vases with the type of embossing i have to emulate, i tend to fake it with bump maps but more often that not these tend to look unrealistic and lack depth. I have also experimented with displacement maps but found this glitchy and tends to take an age to displace the geometry. 

Any help\guidence would be much appreciated. 

Dave

post-10653-0-58417900-1497271960_thumb.jpg

post-10653-0-36260200-1497271969_thumb.jpeg

post-10653-0-45422400-1497271981_thumb.jpg

Hi Tech,

That dosen't give you any control over the depth of the surface, and in my opinion lacks depth and looks unrealistic when rendered. This is the approach i've used for a couple of years but hoped there may be a new or better way of doing this.

Which rendering engine are you using?  RenderZone might be really hard to do this with the level of realism you desire.  Currently inside FormZ, Maxwell and Thea are going to be able to do this much easier.  Since the ceramic is actually a little transparent, you would want to use a Sub Surface Scattering material parameter (SSS).   Also using Displacement on either of these rendering engines is going to be much faster and more realistic than the aging RenderZone.

Archived