AutoDesSys

Can't access modelling tools in tool palette pop-up

I have created a new workspace and changed the arrangement of the Modelling Tools palette to single row (see attachment). After I have changed the display resolution of the macbook pro (unplugging the external display) the tool palette pop-up doesn't work anymore. I can only access the visible tools. To me it seems as if the tool groups are lost. However, when I change the workspace to the default one (Modelling) then it works.

I don't want to set up my workspace everytime I change the display resolution. Does anybody else had the same problem and knows of a solution?

post-10709-0-33421100-1494770083_thumb.png

Alexander, 

Reset back to the default workspace.  Then change the modeling tools to a single column, does that help?

That helps. But then I have to rebuild the entire workspace every time I plug in the external display.

Alexander-

The workspaces issues have been brought up many times, and we hope that FormZ 9 resolves much of this.  For now, if you create a new workspace with your external monitor plugged in, make sure you save it as a separate workspace unique to this setup, so you can always reload it when you plug-in to the external monitor.  I have to use 3 different saved workspaces.  1- for my triple monitor desktop, 2- my laptop, 3- my laptop + external monitor 

Hope that helps.

Alexander-

The workspaces issues have been brought up many times, and we hope that FormZ 9 resolves much of this.  For now, if you create a new workspace with your external monitor plugged in, make sure you save it as a separate workspace unique to this setup, so you can always reload it when you plug-in to the external monitor.  I have to use 3 different saved workspaces.  1- for my triple monitor desktop, 2- my laptop, 3- my laptop + external monitor 

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the hint! I have created also 3 different workspaces for various display layouts, but the layouts break when I change displays. Do you set the "Startup Workspace" option to a temporary workspace and disable the "Save Between Sessions" option so your custom workspaces won't change when you plug in the external display and then select the workspace suitable to your setup once you have pluged in the external display?

Yes, you need to disable the "Save Between Sessions" once you get it dialed in for that display.  That way if you do accidentally make any changes, you still have it saved as you liked it from before.  Once you have all these profiles saved, and have disabled the 'Save Between Sessions', you should go ahead an plugin your monitors setup BEFORE you launch FormZ.  Also, do not unplug from the monitors without closing FormZ first.   This can cause palettes to go missing and you have to reset your workspace to get them back.

It's also good insurance to "Export Workspaces" from the workspace manager in case you need to reset to your custom setups.  In the event something goes wrong, you can easily Import the clean versions back in.  A real timesaver.

Too many things to customize = too many ways things can break.  This is why I really never steer away from the default formZ workspace setup.  I will shrink the modeling tool icons and make them one column instead of two... and I'll close out of palettes I never use (line width, line weight, scenes, selection sets, objects...yup... objects too), but that's as far as I go with formZ customization.  Putting the Action palette at the bottom of your display and removing it from the Tool Dock is playing with fire.  

Alexander-

Hope that helps.

That "save between sessions" burned me a couple of times before I even realized it was the problem. I thought it was something to do with the preferences setting.

All, 

Yes we are aware of various issues when customizing the formZ interface.  Since formZ offers (nearly) infinite ways to customize the interface, it is extremely difficult to diagnose and fix all of a user's problems when it comes to their custom interfaces.  Even if we have a preference file on hand we may not be able to reproduce a certain issue because of the different screen resolutions used.  As noted in other posts, we are working on giving the formZ UI a more unified and cleaner look, hopefully alleviating the urge for users to "fully customize" the screen, which in turn will prevent some of these customized interface issues.

Alexander, upon closer inspection, you are missing the actual Tool Dock.  If you enable this, put your Action palette and your snaps, reference plane, and input palettes in it does it work better?  (it is working for us, see the attached screenshot)

post-5-0-27329600-1496411838_thumb.jpg

All, 

Yes we are aware of various issues when customizing the formZ interface.  Since formZ offers (nearly) infinite ways to customize the interface, it is extremely difficult to diagnose and fix all of a user's problems when it comes to their custom interfaces.  Even if we have a preference file on hand we may not be able to reproduce a certain issue because of the different screen resolutions used.  As noted in other posts, we are working on giving the formZ UI a more unified and cleaner look, hopefully alleviating the urge for users to "fully customize" the screen, which in turn will prevent some of these customized interface issues.

Alexander, upon closer inspection, you are missing the actual Tool Dock.  If you enable this, put your Action palette and your snaps, reference plane, and input palettes in it does it work better?  (it is working for us, see the attached screenshot)

I haven't tried it yet because the workaround suggested by Justin Montoya solved the problem. I am also seeing forward to a more unified (and more minimalistic) UI in future developments of FormZ :)

Archived