AutoDesSys

vray fz

pipo

vray has just released what looks to be a stunner v3 for sketchup

can we have some concrete news on vray for fz ?

It is getting increasingly hard to justify NOT moving fully to sketchup now........

Thea development has stalled (even for sketchup ) and the continued downing of the maxwell forum is not encouraging....

IMO, I wouldn't base my decision of 3d modelling software "just" on the render engine. It's true that SU has a massive user base which drives render engine suppliers to develop for it.

But really, Sketchup as your main modeller? I regularly get SU models from designers who initially think they can complete a project and then hit a wall, either from lack of knowledge in 3d modelling or from a sudden realisation that the rendering process is not as easy as they thought. 

Regarding Vray, I tried out the beta for a while and it's not as intuitive as you might think, there's still a lot of work involved to get good results.

That's why I've stuck with FormZ for really fast clean modelling and Maxwell render for quick render setup. Albeit Maxwell is slow to get clean images, but I think that is negated by the fast setup.

Maxwell's forum is temporarily down BTW for maintenance, I think they're upgrading it. They said a couple of weeks.

Good luck with your decision.

Des

Hey Des

Ive been using fz since 1990 and the simple fact is its more about the renderer now since a model is only a model

Its all about who built it and how....

It is easily possible to built extremely complex and massive models as cleanly as z

The fact is the majority of SU users are monkeys doing grunt work with no regard to another end user , hence the crappy model you receive

There is nothing that sketchup can't do faster than z....its just the plethora of plugins required complicates the process

Im not trying to knock z here by the way

I usually get my partner to do all my complex terrain models on sketchup not only because its much faster , fz just can't do ....and a few other things too

Anyway I don't relish the thought , giving up Z is not my preference , Im seeking info on vray , a render plug that has been in development for so many

years I've lost track

and until then Maxwell serves well

that couple of weeks is actually six weeks now , and that is disconcerting, especially as the torrent of negativity towards next limit was acute at the time of "upgrading"

Hi Pipi,

I would advise you to hold off on making any big decisions until Maxwell 4.1 is released (sometime in Q2). I can't say more than that ;)  I suspect the Next Limit forum will be rebooted at the same time, though I don't have any special insider knowledge there.

In the meantime, feel free to ask any Maxwell from formZ plugin related questions here: http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/forum/4-maxwell-render-plugin/

And Maxwell/Studio/Network questions through the portal here: https://portal.nextlimit.com/

i was and still am interested into getting a GPU supported highend render engine into FZ as well. i will not upgrade maxwell to v4 because my main platform lightwave is not supported anymore and the upgrade price is way too high. also GPU support is only at the beginnings and mac support - especially concerning the licensing server setup and network rendering was and is not optimal for maxwell. be it vray or thea, i hope we will get something soon.

Hi Markus,

i was and still am interested into getting a GPU supported highend render engine into FZ

Maxwell 4 for formZ offers GPU rendering support  on both Windows and Mac, and has advanced greatly over the past months. (Requires a recent Nvidia card.) I understand that you don't own Maxwell 4, but I would recommend downloading the trial version again after Maxwell Render 4.1 is released, and see if it meets your needs.

(Please try not to judge Maxwell for formZ based on the lack of Lightwave support-- these would seem to me to be two different discussions.)

Hi Ben, you're absolutely right - it doesn't help to talk about the LW plugin here, i just tried to explain my personal reasons which maybe shouldn't belong here. Your Maxwell plugin has always been excellent and was working ways better than LW's one. I will try the demo again when i have time, but I didn't succeed a few weeks ago with that, maybe licensing issues. Also I am a bit worried to break my current V3 setup when installing the new V4 plugin.

If NL ever will consider to lower the upgrade price to a reasonable level i would even consider to upgrade, just to have that option inside FZ in case i would need it.

Cheers

Markus

Hello Pipo et al, 

Thanks for the kind words regarding V-Ray 3 for SketchUp. We have been silent for sure. Not because we are not working hard. ;) There were three major releases over the last few months; V-Ray for Revit and V-Ray 3 for SketchUp and Rhino.

Here is what I can say about V-Ray | formZ:

We had some great user feedback from the private testing that we had to address. Meanwhile with our other V-Ray products launching there were major developments that for the sake of version parity we wanted to make sure we took care of for the initial release of V-Ray for formZ. We are very quickly working towards one the most integrated V-Ray plugins on the market. Trust me when I say it's exciting.

If you're a private tester feel free to email us and we will try to get you updated ASAP. For the rest, we will be sharing more information publicly very, very soon. In fact we wanted to do it last week... So, stay tuned...

Best,

Corey

Great to hear all of that ! This is quite exciting.

I'm a big fan of Maxwell. Got myself a nice GPU and V4 when it was on special and I am very happy with the speed and workflow. 

Having said that, I casually use sketchup and vray and I would gladly add V-ray for formZ as well if it is fast and clean.

I used to be a 3d design professional, now I'm more of a manager and I have very little time to get deep when I model/render,  so speed and ease of workflow is critical to me. The vray plugin for Sketchup is better than the maxwell one for SU in my opinion.

The best integration is hands down Formz+Maxwell. I hope V-ray can reach that.

Most people in our agency use Sketchup + Vray  even if Revit+Maxwell is gaining in popularity at concept level. I'm starting to see young people with Form Z in their cv . The older ones ( 28+) all use Sketchup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

...... For the rest, we will be sharing more information publicly very, very soon. In fact we wanted to do it last week... So, stay tuned...

We're still staying desperatly tuned ;) , how soon is this "very soon" ? Would like to hear some updated info on where VRay for FormZ is at the moment, and a timeline would be nice too.

cheers

Erik

MerkenMerken

ingoerik - don't hold your breath Corey has a lot on his plate with Sketchup and Rhino plugins that are very popular. I think Sketchup now is nearly as big a market for Vray as for 3DMax (...think big )  as such formZ is still a very small blip on the conversion creation radar .VRay has just gone to v3.5 on 3DMax so there is lots of work being done to update/debug these old plugins for Rhino & Sketchup

OK, sorry for not watching this thread or reporting back to everyone for such a long time. I can confirm that at no point should you hold your breath and my plate is full as Smarttec states although I'm pretty sure the rest of the information is incorrect ;). My sights and David and teams sights are very much set on formz.

The team has literally been working night and day. We took the leap to move to the 3.5 core of V-Ray and the latest stable version of our Application SDK. We make some changed under the hood that destabilized things a bit more than we thought it would. We have also been working to support our V-Ray material editor which will be available in the next update to our testers. In any event, next week we will get everyone updated on the latest formZ app and V-Ray version.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys !

Is there any update on the above per chance ? 

Anything would be appreciated.........we are considering a big decision to either continue with FMZ ......( has been used by us for over 15 years ) OR change over to 3D Studio / Max , Vectorworks / Cinema 4D ........really is a hope FMZ Vray will soon be ready to get testing and make a decision to see if if its worth staying ......WE DONT WANT TO LEAVE !!!!!!!! 

Cheers 

A Very much "Pro Fmzer"

Scott

Hi Scott, 

At the moment, V-Ray for FormZ is currently going through private beta testing to a select number of users.  We hope to have a public beta soon, but we do not have a release date available at this time.  If you'd like to join the private beta testing, please send an email to vray@formz.com!

Archived