AutoDesSys

form•Z 8.5.7 Update Released

Tech

We are pleased to announce that the formZ 8.5.7 update is now available for pro, jr, free and student editions. 

Select Check for Update from the form•Z Help Menu automatically update your v8.5 software.

If you have any issues with the automatic updates you can install the latest version using the link from your license email.  

Note: If you have installed any of the 8.5.7 WIP versions, please delete the WIP application folder and update your 8.5.6 (or earlier) installation.

Please contact us at support@formz.com or start a new forum thread if you have any feedback or issues.

Enjoy!

Highlights of improvements in this version include (but are not limited to):

Modeling:
◦ Sub-d Objects now support face colors.
◦ Copy/paste now perseveres layer groups.
◦ DAE import improved.
◦ Opening and saving files to DropBox locations with long path names no longer crashes.
◦ Layer groups are maintained with copy/paste operations.
◦ DWG/DXF/DWF plugin updated (OpenDWG 4.2.2)
◦ Stream Line tool icon now shows properly.
◦ Billboard tool now displays properly when changing image files.
◦ Define Arbitrary Reference plane tool now works properly in Wireframe.
◦ Edge Color Layer override now works with the Material Average option.
◦ Show/Hide edges Layer override and Render as Shaded Surface now work as expected.
◦ Hide ghosted rendering options now work for dimensions and notes.
◦ Redo of Draft Angle operation now works after an undo.
◦ High facet count subdivision objects now work properly on Windows.
◦ The derive face tool now works properly on faces of subdivision objects.
◦ Various stability and performance improvements

Layout:

◦ Improved display efficiency of files with a lot of dimensions/notes/leaders.
◦ Improved efficiency of updating frame data from modeling.
◦ Resizing frames no longer leads to crashes in certain files.
◦ Printing no longer drops lines from frames.
◦ Layers now transfer in the order they appear in modeling.
◦ Layer groups now transfer from modeling.
◦ The frame parameters now has a larger list for selecting layers.
◦ Frame dialog has been adjusted to list layers in order of modeling and the layer list has been expanded and a button added to view the layer the list.
◦ Export defaults to polylines (higher order levels now disabled).
◦ The line tool now appears in the tool palette.
◦ Line tool icon now shows properly.
◦ Various stability and performance improvements.

OS X Specific:

◦ Palette positions are properly maintained on OS X systems with a second screen positioned above the main screen.
◦ The Favorite tools window now works properly on all screens on OS X (not just the main screen).

Chris,

We have not been able to reproduce this yet. Can you post or send a "before and after screen capture" to support@formz.com? Are you using the previous session settings or a preference file?

Thanks!

palarsen,

Thanks for your report. Unfortunately we were not able to fix this issue without causing a noticeable drop in rendering performance. Its a complex issue but we hope to have it resolved in the next update.

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for the extra information.  We found an environment that will reproduce this issue and we are looking into fixing this.  

As a workaround, right click on the 8.5.6 formz.app, select Show Package Contents, navigate to Contents > Frameworks, then copy the libFZRT.dylib to this same location in the contents of the 8.5.7 application, this should solve the problem for you.

After updating there were no palettes displayed.

This is no problem really because after switching the ones on which I like to display from the palette menu my preferred positions had actually been preserved - pretty much, I just moved them a fraction, mainly downwards. I saved as a precaution and the setting is preserved upon reopening.

I have quite a customised palette arrangement.

Windows 7pro. 17inch Dell M6700 laptop.

post-242-0-13636800-1491635079_thumb.jpg

Hi Markus, 

As noted in the top of this thread, if you have any issues with the automatic updates you can install the latest version using the link from your license email.

If you do not have this email available, send us your inquiry to support@formz.com so we can send you the link.

All, 

We have updated the 8.5.7 disk images and patches to address the palette issue with secondary displays arranged to the right.  

This is the same version and build number, so you will not see a change in the splash screen.  

To download the installer, use the link from your license email or send an inquiry to support@formz.com

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

THANK YOU TECH!!!

After using for a few days straight, I am super impressed with this update!  I also finally updated my 5.1 Mac Pro to Sierra, and the newest Nvidia Web Driver for my Mac GTX 680.  These updates combined with this 8.5.7 FormZ update have been rock solid for the last few days, even working with integrating some old geometry in a new project for an exhibit I'm designing for the Paris Air Show.  The file is a tad large ~120mb without textures, so saving takes 15 seconds or so on my SSD Fusion Drive.  But normally I would have had FormZ crash multiple times by now using some of this old geometry and on a file this large!  

BRAVO!

I'm trying to update from 8.5.5 because I never got a notice for 8.5.6. Anyway, whenever I reach 75% of the download it tells me a backup doesn't exist and I have to restart Form Z. Then I'm back to where I started with 8.5.5.

definitely, this update is more solid than ever before, thank you. but i am still having some strange issues after a long modeling session which includes certain copy and paste issues (at a certain point, geometry cannot be copied anymore, clipboard will be empty after command-C or equivalent menu command) and components issues (for example i had repeatedly issues when renaming a component in the component browser - the name change was showed in the browser but was not used in the model, which leads to a big confusion). both issues are fixed after saving the scene, quit and restarted FZ.

ASONE, 

Override Edge Display : Always Off is working for us at the object level, but we are having an issue with the Override Edge Display : Always Off in the Layer Attributes. Is this the issue you are seeing?

Archived